Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
min-va

Angry Pelican attack

Not sure did that happen to anyone or just me being stupid...

Anyway, few weeks ago i went to Cabrillo solo, as you know, there are hundreds of pelican hanging out at the bait barge all the time, so i just don't give a shit as usual, got to the bait barge, open my bait tank, and the guy was loading up for me while i was working on my FF, suddenly a boater yell at me "Look behind you", i looked back, there are at least 6-8 of them right next to the bait tank behind me, so i close the lip right away, but i know there was 1 sardine was drop out of the bait tank when the guy was loading the tank, and that sardine was stuck between the bait tank and my seat, when i was about to take out the sardine by my hand, the pelican started the attack, there were few of them attacking that 1 sardine at the same time, the sardine was stuck, so they were having hard time to get it out, and they do not give up, and not long after, the other pelican wanted to join, few of them jump on my kayak and 4-5 of them attacking behind me............i tried to scare them off with my paddle, but they don't give a shit at all....and it was too dangerous to use my hand when they were attacking.......at that moment, i gave up and felt kind of intense...but nothing i can do, just seat there and wait for them to finish...and i was surrounded by many pelicans.......after a while, they finally got the sardine out, and i paddled so hard to just get out of that area.

Second time..........
The following weekend, i went to NPH, got bait as usual, was trying to be careful by not letting the bait drop out, but of course, it happened again, so right away i was trying to flip the bait off to the water, and that one pelican was stand by next to me tried to attack the bait, and at the same time, my hand was there, and it almost got my hand......

Sorry for the long story, just want to share this and see you guys have similar problem when getting bait? and any ways to avoid this to happen again?

Last edited by min-va; 08-09-2012 at 05:10 PM.
min-va is offline   Reply With Quote