Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2010, 06:25 PM   #1
THE DARKHORSE

Wind Warning!

Ahh, nothing like going for a paddle! Well, at least that's what I told myself when I realized I had forgotten my Mirage Drive this morning. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but one time this summer, I had done the same thing and turned right around and went home. A perfectly wide-open day, with a practical guarantee of catching multiple Yellowtail. Man, it sure feels good to get that off my chest publicly. For a while there, I had planned to take that bit of history to the grave. I even heckled another Hobie peddler last week when he did the same thing. I told him "just paddle, you're already loaded on the beach". This was quickly followed by a scowl from the angler, rightfully so. Who the hell am I to tell another Hobie guy to paddle? I then quietly called myself a series of names, one being hypocrite. Under my breath, of course. This is especially funny when I've found the Hobie Revo to be a pretty damn good paddling kayak, when using the rudder.

Alright, so after a little back and forth with myself on the beach, I made the decision to launch. I've been fishing an area that's been pretty lively on the South West side of La Jolla. It's a healthy pedal, much less paddle from the La Jolla Shores. So I typically just Launch from Southern La Jolla when I fish this area. Not only is this area a few miles from the launch, but the current is no joke here when it gets going. Even though there was surf at the local reefs, I timed it well and launched without incident. I paddled for about an hour before I saw the birds in the bino's, then came the decision. Do I really want to paddle that far for what could very easily be, nothing. Yes, believe it or not, birds are exactly like people from what I've found: 94.8325% of them are completely full of $h!t.

About halfway to the pile of birds, now visible to the naked eye, I notice the current has swept me miles to the South. Not only is the current moving a couple miles an hour on it's own, but did you see the wind today? It was a solid 20 MPH with gusts out of the Northwest. I wanted to catch a fish, though. And not just any fish. I kept telling myself there's got to be Yellowtail under that damn bird pile. So I paddle, and paddle, and paddle, and paddle some more. I keep my eyes on the bird pile sinking out and firing back up again. All the while, paying absolutely no attention to my drift.

Then next thing I know, fish lite up the meter. I'm talking ridiculous meter marks you only dream about. Forget boomerangs, my sonar practically screamed at me. The Lowrance said drop it now! And I did. I was frightened for my iron when I dropped that poor thing. I thought to myself, oh man here it comes. Nothing happened, though. And soon after, I saw another bird pile way, way, way to the Southwest. I thought to myself "can I make it there"? And quickly realized that the ripping current was square at my back, not to mention the 20 MPH wind! So here I go again...paddling, paddling, paddling, and more paddling than I've done in years. I kept thinking this is absolutely ridiculous! I'm going to have to call a friend to pick me up in a skiff!

As always, just as I arrive on the scene of the crime, with birds a plenty sitting as if they've got nothing better to do. What do I do now? If I don't start paddling back I'm going to be swept into those big rocks! Big rocks? What the hell are those? Where in the hell am I? No, it couldn't be, those aren't what I think they are. Big green rocks with giant waves slamming into the bluffs below.

Right about the time I start to reach for my radio to call for help, a full foamer comes out of nowhere. And for the first time in a while, luck was on my side. I had the wind at my back and the fish were coming straight for me. I felt terrible for that iron, but did what I had to do. The ten foot, Calstar 100J, did it's job and put my jig right in the foam. Then bent in half right before my eyes!

A freakin' Toad!

I would have easily won the jackpot today. A fatty with a giant tail, well over thirty pounds.

Beautiful! Heaven on earth, but I'll never chase birds without the Mirage Drive again!

In the distance I realized what I thought were waves, were just boats. I could have made that paddle back, I really could, but skiffs are cool sometimes.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
ratdog

Wow!
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
buttchaser
Float Tuber

Awesome read Josh ! Beautiful fish . Congrats.
buttchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
Willy

Nicely done Josh.

Although a little sketchy, I imagine the change of scenery was a bit of fun.

That is a toad.
Well done.

Willy
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:12 PM   #5
Nic D

great fish Josh and even better story... for a minute, I thought the story was headed for Gilligan's island v2.0
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:12 PM   #6
-scallywag-
Banned

Josh, I'm disappointed in you....yahoo's are limiting out on those "cookie cutter" YT's from the decks of sporties less than a mile away and you only get one??

Although you do look un-seasonably warm and DRY out there....
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:34 PM   #7
bellcon

Quote:
Yes, believe it or not, birds are exactly like people from what I've found: 94.8325% of them are completely full of $h!t.
So true
But them are where some of the best stories come from

Bitchen fish!
looks thick and mean
bellcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:43 PM   #8
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Hmmm...although I'm definitely no Einstein, or a Cousteau
for that matter, based on wind speed and current direction...let's see...

Nice feeesh, regardless...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:50 PM   #9
j mo

nice yarn.... and wow they look well fed!
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:48 AM   #10
CandyCatcher

Nice Yellowtaill....Looks Yummy!

and nice story too?????? i think????
CandyCatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:59 AM   #11
Iceman
Administrator

I am sure you have considered pedaling out there on your 3/4 day long paddle through the first half I thought Spring had charged up the line.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:20 AM   #12
DENNYh

nice catch Josh, hope you have a chest freezer like me
DENNYh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:11 AM   #13
bigbarrels

nice one
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:04 AM   #14
NextBite

Awesome Job Josh!
Old 03-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #15
tptrench

???????????????

Killer fish! Did you actually paddle to Los Coronados? and then get a ride back in. That's awesome if you did. I can't imagine paddling that far.
Also, I've thoroughly enjoyed reading all your stuff. If you aren't already, you could write professionally. Thanks for all the tips! TP
tptrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:55 AM   #16
bender0240

I call bullshit... You would never NOT go out when it's wide open just because you didn't have your drive.

Nice job photoshopping out your kayak and the poles behind you to make it look like you're not on a kayak!
bender0240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:53 AM   #17
Sherm

Cool STORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Josh. Good job on the YT. The islands are stupid wide open right now. A friend of mine works the Malahini and they have been killing them the last few days. Good getting out there.
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:07 AM   #18
THE DARKHORSE

Paddle from La Jolla?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tptrench View Post
Killer fish! Did you actually paddle to Los Coronados? and then get a ride back in. That's awesome if you did. I can't imagine paddling that far.
Also, I've thoroughly enjoyed reading all your stuff. If you aren't already, you could write professionally. Thanks for all the tips! TP

Thanks for the props!

As far as paddling to Los Coronados, especially from La Jolla?... no way Jose! Not me. I've done 45 mile round trips, in a day on the Hobie using the Mirage Drive, a few times. That was searching for the fast moving Tuna on our local banks (the 9 and 182). I've seen everything from jumpers, to a boat right next to me hook a quad on the troll, to a skiff race around me, just as I was a few hundred yards off a kelp that was holding...just to watch them hook my prize right in front of me. My story of heartbreak in that arena is tough to even talk about. It almost brings a tear to my eye.

The Coronados would be quite easy with the Hobie, really, but I'd launch from Mexico...or at least Imperial Beach. With the Islands it's not the distance, it's the currents and boat traffic you should be worried about. Honestly, with the easy Yellowtail fishing available to us on plastic crafts, I'll save my long trips for offshore exotics like Marlin and Tuna.

And on this particular day, it would have been suicide to fish off a kayak at Pukey Point. This point is well known for it's ridiculous current and those rocks are no joke. The swell was at least 8' on this day (breaking at times), solid three mph current and 20 mph+ winds. The Oregon Tuna fisherman would have been right at home . One minute I'm talking to a guy on a 24' boat and ten minutes later he's going over the side for a swim. It was about as snotty as it gets out there.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:50 AM   #19
yakrider

very good indeed!
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:39 PM   #20
dfroggy54
Rolly

wow...good shit, nice yellow.
dfroggy54 is offline   Reply With Quote