Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2012, 05:35 AM   #1
DarthFisherman

Outback fish finder mounting locations

I just got my Lowrance Mark4 in yesterday and before I start making holes in my boat I would like to see where other Outback owners are mounting their FFs. I know that I want to mount it on the left side and preferably use the Ram mount kit and place the ball in the channel with the rudder pull cord.

Pictures are greatly appreciated!
DarthFisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:42 AM   #2
mtnbykr2

There are always discussions on this issue, a couple of recent ones, I have an OB I mounted mine forward of the right rod holder on a ram mount works
good for me, some people mount it in the mast hole but a little hard to reach
but if that doesn't bother you, that is a clean place for mounting.
I would review previous posts for different ideas, then try different placements
while yak on the ground or supported sit down in the seat and try the different
placements. Before your final decision, keep in mind wire harness routing including exit from hull and transducer placement and installation before drilling..."measure twice...drill once"
Old 06-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #3
JNAST13ST
Living Da Dream!

Yeah I just got mine in yesterday elite dsi I think im just going to to OEX next week don't want to fuck up my yak I'll never forgive myself lol
Old 06-15-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
Mr Fishback

Im using a Mark 5 mounted in the mast post. Pros: no drilling, you can run the wiring underneath the hatch lid. Cons: pain in the butt if you want to change settings.

If I were using a GPS combo unit or was into using the menus more I would definitely mount closer. Maybe pick one side as your get in/get out side and mount it on the opposite.

Good luck on the install!
Mr Fishback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
DarthFisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
There are always discussions on this issue, a couple of recent ones, I have an OB I mounted mine forward of the right rod holder on a ram mount works
good for me, some people mount it in the mast hole but a little hard to reach
but if that doesn't bother you, that is a clean place for mounting.
I would review previous posts for different ideas, then try different placements
while yak on the ground or supported sit down in the seat and try the different
placements. Before your final decision, keep in mind wire harness routing including exit from hull and transducer placement and installation before drilling..."measure twice...drill once"
Yea, I did a search and returned some very helpful threads to install the unit and transducer. However, the posts I found still left me wanting regarding the specific location and examples on an Outback.

I think i may use a combination of PVC and zipties to temporarily install the complete unit for LJ on Saturday before I start cutting holes in the yak.
DarthFisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #6
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthFisherman View Post
Yea, I did a search and returned some very helpful threads to install the unit and transducer. However, the posts I found still left me wanting regarding the specific location and examples on an Outback.

I think i may use a combination of PVC and zipties to temporarily install the complete unit for LJ on Saturday before I start cutting holes in the yak.
that should be ok as long as you stow the head unit during launch and landing
probably should leash the head unit somehow just in case...
Old 06-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
packeryakker

I am in the same boat, pun intended, I will be mounting an elite 4 soon and am plenty nervous about the install. I like the tallon mount because it is so clean. I might do the same as you and rig it in a couple different spots before the final install. I like the idea of the channel on the left it will make loading and unloading less sketchy not having to worry about getting the ram mount hung up on shit. Keep us posted pics would be cool. When I mount mine I will post pics. The xducer mount has me a little confused also....
packeryakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:42 AM   #8
Divad

I was looking at this site and they have some nice stuff for mounting your FF and the transducer over the side of the kayak. And it could be stored during a surf launch. Having the transducer in the water will give you a better reading on your FF and it is easy to move it to another Kayak.

http://madfroggear.com/liberator/liberator.html
Divad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #9
fishingfiend

I spent ALOT of time pondering mounting locations. I eventually went for the right side mount. I'm right handed and I'm always messing with the settings. This left the left side for the anchor trolley setup. In the picture you can see the general setup plus the wet transducer mount in the center hatch. btw, that's a Humminbird 597CI DI

fishingfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:07 PM   #10
roadx

i ended up puting mine in the same location, keep the ram mount loose so you can lay the FF down when gaffing. the left side i used a scotty extender. i also have the 597 ci hd di hum FF. were we separated at birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfiend View Post
I spent ALOT of time pondering mounting locations. I eventually went for the right side mount. I'm right handed and I'm always messing with the settings. This left the left side for the anchor trolley setup. In the picture you can see the general setup plus the wet transducer mount in the center hatch. btw, that's a Humminbird 597CI DI

Old 06-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #11
jorluivil

I gaff on my right side so I mounted mine on the left side.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #12
roadx

with the outback, i get stuff from the left, im right handed so i went with the FF on the right. i did try the FF on the left but i couldnt sit side saddle so.... on the right it went . does that even make since???
temporarily install it to fit your needs
Old 06-16-2012, 06:23 AM   #13
Nic D

I had mine located up front using the sailing mast hole. Really easy to take on and off. no extra holes in your boat and in an outback easy to slide forward to make adjustments on it. Thats where Darkhorse has his located, but what does he know about Kayak fishing?

nic

instagram - @DRAGO619
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote