Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2011, 07:00 PM   #41
radastaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Now that my body no longer hurts I can put all my stuff away.

heh heh
i like that
might even steal it for a sig

been there many a time
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #42
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by radastaff View Post
they arnt gettin shit for the post Jim
(far as i know) because they didnt post a pict of a giant wsb
and tell everybody and their grandmother that the bite is on
and where it is not looking to get into a discussion about what u did or did not nor do i care to0 much just saying what they did not...
Alright I'll bite.

Sometimes you just have to laugh about this stuff..

If I posted I caught a treefish, two bass and a few kelp Rockfish in Malibu, the same core group of haters who always attack me would cry it's the end of the friggin world, and I know this first hand because they have done so in the past. You know how it is it's easy to hate online and these guys do it with a tenacity and gusto, that would be damned annoying if it was just so dang funny.

In this case I posted this...

Quote:
Friend of mine sent me this pic....

Not too sure on the size and location but it looks fishy to me.
That's all I posted, but you would think it was the end of the world.

My take is these guys don't like Gary either (after all he's intelligent, a freind of mine, and holding a fish) so they had to make it a bigger deal then it really was.

In fairness maybe three days later I did say something like there are Seabass in a prespawn pattern, in the kelp all up and down the coast and if you fish for them right in the usual spots in Malibu you can maybe pick one up. That's a far cry from alerting the whole world to a wide open seabass bite, and as far as I have heard it has not lead to one bit of overfishing.

I'm glad these guys went to Malibu, after all I told them to go fish it. It's nice to see someone actually posting about for a change, and I'm glad they caught some fish, even if they did not get a seabass. Malibu is a great place to fish, and they are going to close a bunch of fishing there so I want people to fish it as much as they can before they shut those areas down. Just my take, but it is the way I see it. As far as I know there is still no wide open seabass bite at Malibu. If there is one please feel free to send me a PM.

Last I heard they were still in the kelp there in prespawn mode. So to end my little rebuttal I'll just add another thing I said recently that naturally I got a bunch of shit for.

Quote:
I guess you could say that I have learned the difference between a prespawn bite, and the wide open bite that comes with the spawn, and figured out that we can catch them in prespawn mode when no-one else can. Prespawn the fish are in the kelp are sluggish, not very active, they do not move around much and do not want to fight current or chase down bait. We all know what a spawning bite is, when it's wide open and anyone can catch them but with prespawn fish you have to be there at the right place, at the right time, and present a bait right in front of a fishes nose to get it. It's literally that the fish are lazy, because they are conserving energy for the spawn, but if you present a bait right in front of their nose you can catch one. Party boats and private boaters can not fish those prespawn fish because they do not have the maneuverability or the time to wait them out, get right in front of them and then present a bait with enough finesse to get bit like we can do in a kayak. Is it a wide open thing where you get fish all the time, hell no!!! You have to fish the crap out of them to catch fish in a prespawn pattern. There's a lot of variables that have to line up: the current has to be right and you have to be in the right place at the right time, with the right bait, so it's more of a patience stalking and waiting game, but if you put in the time you can get some real trophies fishing prespawn fish from a kayak even if they are almost impossible to catch any other way..
I don't see that as leaking bite info, more like trying to help people catch fish by giving them fishing info. Hopefully someone will put that to good use and nail a few fish up there this season.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:03 PM   #43
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by radastaff View Post
have your heavier stuff that u stowed
in the nose or ure yak to help it stay down and cut into the wave and
the opposite when u land push the heavy stuff in as deep as u can
and as far away from the front as u can and lean back
That is right on. You want the weight up foreward going out to keep your nose down and help cut through the waves, and the weight back on landing to keep your nose up and help you surf, if a wave catches up to you on the way in.

Good stuff, Jim
Old 06-02-2011, 08:18 PM   #44
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehide View Post
Frank, waves are measured from the back side, ocean surface to the top of the wave; not the face (front). But it's a common mistake.
If you go to Hawaii, you are correct. In cali, and most other places in the world they use the face height, because the way different spots break. A 2 foot wave back might be a 2 foot face in one place, and a 4 foot wave face in another.

"In March 2001 however, the National Weather Service sought to standardize reporting, calling the surf by wave face. This was done in the interest of public safety, especially in light of a series of injury lawsuits that claimed that surf reports did not accurately reflect true ocean conditions."
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:43 PM   #45
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveooo View Post
If you go to Hawaii, you are correct. In cali, and most other places in the world they use the face height, because the way different spots break. A 2 foot wave back might be a 2 foot face in one place, and a 4 foot wave face in another.

"In March 2001 however, the National Weather Service sought to standardize reporting, calling the surf by wave face. This was done in the interest of public safety, especially in light of a series of injury lawsuits that claimed that surf reports did not accurately reflect true ocean conditions."

Both are true, today they call it the wave face, for the height of the face, and when "wave height" is used, it refers to the backside measurement. But the backside has been the traditional referenced method.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:57 PM   #46
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
Alright I'll bite.

Sometimes you just have to laugh about this stuff..

...Jim

Yeah it's funny, thanks to Josh Pruitt, the pre-spawn bite (or lack there of), and how to fish it, is common knowledge in LJ. Yet no one is fishing the pre-spawn up the coast here (well, except for me). For years now Pruitt has been slay-n the bass pre-spawn, and sharing his knowledge and skills openly. And, I simply figured why can't it be done up and down the coast; and I found that it can (thanks Josh! My freezer is now full and my friends and neighbors are eating well). But some places, like up the coast here, some people just have to pretend that the fishing community is unaware of the fishing opportunities, despite such places being on every marine map since before the dawn of time. But Paul (radastaff) pretty much nailed it, this year will be just like years past, yakers and PB-ers will be out there in force when the bite heats up; and no one will need to tell them, PM them... it'll be obvious, just like it always is, every year. After all, there's a web cam pointing right out to the spot, !
Old 06-02-2011, 09:46 PM   #47
jorluivil

And all I wanted to do was share what a great day we had on the water

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #48
sasha

As always im late to the party.. It was great to meet all of you guys. Got no idea how far we went but i over heard some talk that it was over 12 miles.. going out was into the wind and the swell was huge. Every once in a while there would be a huge one when you get to the top you can see far away. Then the yak would just drop and it seemed like i had walls of water around me. Got some nice macks and they are getting marinaded right now and should be done in about 10 days. The only reason Frank didnt go swimming was cause i did it for him. Tired sea sick and been chumming the water which didnt help.. On the way in i thought i had it right just to have a big wave come right behind me and toss me in the water into a wash cycle. Then spit me out on the sand when i were nice and clean. Sure got the sea sickness out of me fast. I felt like a cat that some monkeys had fun with holding by the tail and droping into a barrel full of cold water, over and over. I were tired cold and sick with a bad sun burn.
i got only one Q to ask...................

when are we going out again boys???????????

Sasha
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:04 PM   #49
StinkyMatt

New spot for YT and WSB.

I can't this weekend, but the Fri, Sat and Sun. next 10-12 I want to get a group to go to this new spot I heard of.

This place has deep canyons, lots of kelp, no one knows about it. We don't want to let other fishermen just like us know where it is.

I can't openly say where this place is but you can hear waves and see the sky from there.

If you live in a zipcode that ends in 000, drive a SAAB, voted Republican and have a purple kayak then you are in.... I'll PM you.

Ohhhh and I forgot, you are not allowed to share a fishing report till the year 2017.

I'll be sending out the secret handshake instructions soon.

All kidding aside, I'll be fishing LJ that weekend. Matt
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #50
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post

Wheres LJ?
Old 06-02-2011, 11:50 PM   #51
jorluivil

Quote:
I can't this weekend, but the Fri, Sat and Sun. next 10-12 I want to get a group to go to this new spot I heard of.

This place has deep canyons, lots of kelp, no one knows about it. We don't want to let other fishermen just like us know where it is.

I can't openly say where this place is but you can hear waves and see the sky from there.

If you live in a zipcode that ends in 000, drive a SAAB, voted Republican and have a purple kayak then you are in.... I'll PM you.

Ohhhh and I forgot, you are not allowed to share a fishing report till the year 2017.

I'll be sending out the secret handshake instructions soon.

My zip codes ends in 650
I drive a three tone uninsured Chevy with expired plates
I voted and vote Democrat
I have an Olive colored Hobie

Can I get in on this 'secret spot'?

P.S.
Don't forget that I was the one that gave you a hell of a deal on a new Hobie PFD and let you borrow some bungees to tie your sh*t down before you/we launched through those 6'-8' waves that were coming 3-5 seconds apart.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 06-03-2011 at 12:10 AM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:28 AM   #52
yakrider

Quote:

and that you did...
thank you for sharing...

you'll get used to it!
(or not)
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:27 AM   #53
steveooo

Quote:
Both are true, today they call it the wave face, for the height of the face, and when "wave height" is used, it refers to the backside measurement. But the backside has been the traditional referenced method.
If "both are true", then why be so quick to point out Frank's "common mistake" in how he determined how big the waves were?

I don't get it?
Old 06-03-2011, 07:59 AM   #54
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveooo View Post
If "both are true", then why be so quick to point out Frank's "common mistake" in how he determined how big the waves were?

I don't get it?

Simple, there are officially recognized methods, and those that aren't. The method you used to corrected me on, was simply brought about to "cover one's a*# in respect to litigation.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:36 AM   #55
Fiskadoro

Quote:
I hear that

Yeah it was great to see the report and I'm glad you had a good time even if you got some bumps and bruises. I have no idea how big that wave is but it definitely looks big enough to F you up. Good going on the trip, glad everyone made it home in one piece and thanks again for the great report.

Jim
Old 06-03-2011, 08:40 AM   #56
tagyak

Quote:

a SAAB, isn't that so 80's. i think the vehicle of choice would be the Range Rover Sport Supercharged.......

so please make sure that you send me those secret handshaking instructions.
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:40 AM   #57
Fiskadoro

Quote:
If you live in a zipcode that ends in 000, drive a SAAB, voted Republican and have a purple kayak then you are in.... I'll PM you. Ohhhh and I forgot, you are not allowed to share a fishing report till the year 2017. I'll be sending out the secret handshake instructions soon.
Damn!!! I hate Purple, and drive a Dodge turbodiesel, send me those secret handshaking instructions anyway....
Old 06-03-2011, 08:41 AM   #58
tagyak

hey jim, perhaps you can join up the next time they/we head out that way????
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:44 AM   #59
steveooo

Quote:
Simple, there are officially recognized methods, and those that aren't. The method you used to corrected me on, was simply brought about to "cover one's a*# in respect to litigation.
Awesome. Thanks for clearing that up!

For a second there, it appeared that you were using the opportunity to puff your chest out and be a weenie, but in reality you were just being helpful in making sure Frank can avoid potential litigation that may occur from him misreporting how big the surf is.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:03 AM   #60
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagyak View Post
hey jim, perhaps you can join up the next time they/we head out that way????
Sounds cool, when are you guys going again. This weekend looks really good weather and wave wise.

Jim