Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2011, 09:00 AM   #21
BT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
Spyderco makes great knives. My Byrd mine was made in China but the attention to detail, and quality is still Spyderco. This knife shaved right out of the box, I could not of made it any sharper, and I love to sharpen knives. It's really immaculately well done, a beautiful knife if you are into knives, now I'm wishing I bought two of them

Jim
I will have to pick one up...cause I am a sucker for knives like that! LOL. I had never heard of Byrd before, but I just checked out the web page. Good prices, and if they are as good as you say, then the price is worth it and your price was awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WahooUSMA View Post
Hahaha funny, Andy.

I carried a Spyderco knife for many years. Best knife to cut away a seat belt, or commence with some great bodily injury. Don't think I would carry something like that on a yak for fear I might injure myself, or have the blade open up while I am being tossed in the surf. Yes, after time the blade will loosen, if not tightened regularly. If and when I carry a knife, its usually just the cheap plastic handle bait knife from Long Fin or local tackle store.
A lot of the new knives have the locks on the handle where they wont open unless you move the lock. But in an emergency that is just one more thing to figure out. I have a Kershaw that has one, and even with normal use I forget about the lock. They say that you need to do something 1000 times for it to become muscle memory. But with so many knives who has time for that!?!?! LOL
Old 01-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #22
yani

Exclamation I don't need no stinkin' knife...

Knife? On a kayak? What the hell for?

Old 01-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #23
taggermike

I worked in a hatchery in Alaska years ago. We had a small siener that worked with us and every one on the crew had a spiderco knife clipped to thier slickers in case they fell in to the net or lines. The blades were dull at the tip and had a wicked seration on the blade. These knives are designed to cut rope, rigging, and webbing. I've seen police and EMS personel carrying these to cut through seat belts. Good tools. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #24
lterrero
Leo

Quote:
Originally Posted by yani View Post
Knife? On a kayak? What the hell for?

No Yani, is for anglers that fish with two line in the water and get wrapped up with braided line on a YT duplex.
lterrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:48 AM   #25
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
I worked in a hatchery in Alaska years ago. We had a small siener that worked with us and every one on the crew had a spiderco knife clipped to thier slickers in case they fell in to the net or lines. The blades were dull at the tip and had a wicked seration on the blade. These knives are designed to cut rope, rigging, and webbing. I've seen police and EMS personel carrying these to cut through seat belts. Good tools. Mike

Sounds like the crew was carrying Spyderco UK Rescue blades.

Nice Knife but I want a sharp tip so I can cut fish. One thing I like about that knife for a kayak though is since it does not have lock so you can close it one handed.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:54 AM   #26
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
Good life saving info. Got a little scared looking at this video. Never seen a
kayak ninja man.

LOL... Ninja man = Priceless

I didn't know what to expect when i first say his video.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:40 AM   #27
wiredantz

The knife looks pretty good, you can use it in case a white shark tries to take a bite out of your kayak.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:52 PM   #28
DESTROYER

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post
While I appreciate all the go, go, go-safety guys (ya' know, guys who bring multiple GPS units, multiple radios, flares, two bilge pumps, extra batteries just in case?)---we're not exactly roping Great White Sharks!

Kayak fishing is as dangerous as you make it, I guess .

This coming from a Guide.LOL! I guess you're a good swimmer

I know where you coming from, but I never knock the over prepared kayak fisherman because I know it will come back and bite me in the ass.

Nice Video Jim. I think that same knife saved Rob Sanford's life when his Defiance Boat capsized on a wave coming into the MB Channel. His automatic floatation PFD had him trap in the pilot house and if he didn't have a knife on him, he would have died. Thanks for sharing.

Moyer

Last edited by DESTROYER; 01-08-2011 at 09:58 AM.
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:25 AM   #29
Jim Sammons LJKF

Kind of what I was thinking Matt, is it really a good idea to give people a hard time about wanting to be safe. Particularly when you are in a position of people trying to follow your example.

For the record I normally have a knife on board but not on my PFD. On my PFD I usually keep a hook knife. They are great for quickly cutting line and you never have to worry about getting stuck or cutting your PFD.
This is the one I have from Benchmade. I see they now have some new ones that I may have to take a look at that may be better for the kayak.
http://www.benchmade.com/products/8
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:45 PM   #30
umoa
Junior

wasn't that the blade hannibal lector used to disembowel one of his victims? very interesting, another must add to my list.
umoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #31
dorado50

being oversafe(on a kayak) can also become an issue. I always carry a straight edge near me on the kayak. Boats are very different, the more knifes the better in case of emergency. Never on the boat without a knife on me. Rescue hooks by benchmade are a must also. You can never be too safe on a boat.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #32
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

I carry a couple myself...knives are our friends, except the banished ones according to our pussified state...

One in the tackle box, one in the vest, and one in the seat bag.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:04 PM   #33
sundog
Junior

How much do you want for that dog? I always wear a dive knife on my leg. I put a loop on it for my wrist just in case. They will sink if you drop them and I experimented with closed cell foam but I could not get it boyant enough to not sink. I am going to try the camera floats next. That is a great looking vest though. You look like a navy seal
sundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:09 AM   #34
maui jim

This is what I carry.....
Old 01-10-2011, 06:12 AM   #35
maui jim

This is what I carry.....

Old 01-10-2011, 07:09 PM   #36
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog View Post
How much do you want for that dog?
Wouldn't sell her. Funny how she always seems to make an appearance in any video I make. I just wish she did not get seasick so I could still take her offshore.

Big but just a sweet as can be. Scares the hell out of the neighbors but loves cats and toys. She collects the latter and keeps them in her dog bowl.

I really love that dog, best Dog I've ever owned.

Jim
Old 01-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #37
BT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sammons LJKF View Post
This is the one I have from Benchmade. I see they now have some new ones that I may have to take a look at that may be better for the kayak.
http://www.benchmade.com/products/8
I was trying to find those earlier but was thinking spyderco and not benchmade. We use these at work, and they cut thru anything.

I like the 9 CB carabiner. Has a blade cover, carabiner clip, AND a bottle opener.

Those are great tools and have used them to rip seat belts, web gear and clothing off with ease. Great yak application.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:12 AM   #38
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT View Post
Those are great tools and have used them to rip.... clothing off with ease.
Call me old fashioned but for some things I still do like the hands on approach
Old 01-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #39
T Bone

The spyderco logo/mascot looks more like a tick or a chigger...

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #40
wiredantz

Bump...

Best video ever...

Beware of the kayak ninja

I love this video

going to have to get one of these nice knifes, since my are dull already...

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it