Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-20-2011, 06:02 PM   #10
THE DARKHORSE

In Billy V's defense, he's right, all these topics have been discussed to the point of nauseom (Is that even a word? )

To the newbies, please don't take that the wrong way. The fact of the matter is, all of the old-salts have already poured their heart and soul into these threads. It would be a part-time job to continue answering these questions over and over again. If you add that, some guys now post questions they already know the answers, too---just to boost that post count! For reasons I have no idea, nor, do I really want to know the answer. That's a whole 'nother thread in itself, though.

Being that you have a hunting background (that was some beautiful Bacon by the way ), and in my professional opinion, you are clearly on the fast-track to actually putting this advice to use---ya' know amped to get out there? Which is refreshing, by the way.

I'll bite: In essence, you have two distinct roads in kayak fishing. One is to just charge it like a wild Boar! The other is to think about rigging and such, for so long---you know, tinkering in the garage, and thinking about how to improve your man-toys? That you basically suffocate most of your free-time (which translates to less time on the water ). I'm certainly not saying that you fall into either category, but these are just the black and white scenarios, I most often see.

Like most anything else, somewhere right in the middle of those two options is probably best.

You could go to Home Depot and fabricate a game-clip (great idea by the way, George). Hell, I saw a post where a guy thought buying a $2 fish sack was extreme. So he took the time to make one with the raw materials. I don't mean a nice fish bag, either, I mean a burlap sack! Again, not knocking this idea (another great idea), that's pretty damn creative if you asked me. I doubt I would have been able to do that myself; even with the materials. I guess it's a time-is-money sort of thing for me?

I suppose you could just use a piece of rope and a tent-stake for a game-clip, too. For basically free, and I bet you already have the materials in your garage. Whether you just buy the game-clip or use the tent-stake with rope---there's only only piece of advice I'll give you. And for some crazy reason, it's the most overlooked: Have the damn thing already attached (in arms reach) to your kayak!

You don't want to be trying to tie something to your vessel with, a gaffed fish in one hand and your $300 set-up in the other. I would like to think this is obvious, but time and again, I see guys with just a game clip. What the hell is that going to do for you when you have a giant, flopping trophy? The answer is nothing! Besides, maybe providing extra weight for your trophy to sink to the bottom. Or worse, which I've also had the misfortune of seeing more than once: watching a live, trophy-fish, swim off with a game clip, or Boga-grip attached! Talk about bad fish-karma?

I'm sure being a hunter, you'd agree that, if you're going to harvest a beautiful animal---do it right, the first time. Quick and clean!

As for the fish bag, that is just another useful tool. It's certainly not going to help you catch fish, which in my opinion, is what should be priority number one for any angler (obviously). In short, just go fishing! When you catch your first monster, there's a 95% chance you're going to be so stoked---that damn thing will still be alive by the time you hit the beach. That said, remember to always bleed your fish as soon as it's safely secured on deck (tied down so there's no possible escape ).

My advice for the bag: You can go the expensive route (nice insulated bag $50-$80), but in most scenarios, it's no better than a burlap sack unless you pack it with ice every day. Which some guys consider bad luck to begin with . All kidding aside, if you have a good feeling you're going to be catching fish, or you know you're not coming in too early, these are great!

The most important use of a bag, ice or no ice, is simply keeping your fish out of the sun. Which, well, a burlap sack for $2 will do the same thing. Not only will the burlap sack keep the sun off your fish, but you can easily continue to hydrate your fish by simply splashing some cool water (when deemed necessary).

Above all, after you get the minimal necessary gear (fishing as well as safety), charge like a damn Wild Boar. Just go fishing! Try not to spend too much time recreating the wheel. Pay close attention to the guys always catching fish. There's a reason why we all use the gear we use. Well, most of us .