Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
PAL
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 754
MLPA: Close-up closure maps at WON

Detail maps of the pending South Coast MLPA closures are now available at the Western Outdoor News website. http://www.wonews.com/Blog.aspx?id=910&AuthorID=59046&t=MLPA%20MAP%20UPDATES:%20WON's%20exclusive%20maps %20%20detail%20SoCal%20borders

The maps are zoomed in closely along the MPA boundaries to make it easy to determine their locations by landmarks.

You'll also find the fishing regulations in plain English.

This is still a work in progress. If you find an error or need clarification, please let me know. This is meant to be an easy to read 'cheat sheet' for anglers.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob
 
dsafety's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Olivenhain, CA
Posts: 1,120
Getting a "server error in application". Does this mean that too many of us are trying to view the page?

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:50 PM   #3
dorado50
Senior Member
 
dorado50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: La Jolla Shores
Posts: 1,626
What a JOKE, the best spots in LJ are closed. I can't even fish in my front yard! Boat or kayak makes no difference. Somehow these liberals need to be stopped.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:52 PM   #4
mtnbykr2
Senior Member
 
mtnbykr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: newbury park ca
Posts: 2,323
yeah,
when you click on the maps it disappears, I will have to check it out when I get home...but it aint over till its over keep the faith...
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
deepdvr
Senior Member
 
deepdvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Carlsbad
Posts: 591
Guess I'll have to call a 40lb. YT 'finbait' after I land him north of the pier. I'll tell DFG I was planning on re-baiting him for a shot at the taxman.
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
PAL
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 754
Works for me, although IT was working on the site earlier today and could be back at it.

Link again via Tiny URL: http://preview.tinyurl.com/6l69rlm
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:55 PM   #7
Amish Ed
Senior Member
 
Amish Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Grants Pass, OR
Posts: 1,903
If I read it right; I can still C&R from my yak most of my favorite areas of south Laguna and Corona Del Mar. Outside the triangle seems to mean that. Overall this sucks!

Thanks for posting this Paul.
__________________
Amish Ed
You can't catch it again if it's dead!
Amish Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:22 PM   #8
m1k3midg3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 108
whats the difference between the red and the blue?
m1k3midg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:23 PM   #9
PAL
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 754
Quote:
If I read it right; I can still C&R from my yak most of my favorite areas of south Laguna and Corona Del Mar. Outside the triangle seems to mean that. Overall this sucks!
Ed, if it's outside that red / blue triangle, you can C&R or C&E. The only take restrictions in the Dana Pt SMCA relate to tidepools.

Quote:
whats the difference between the red and the blue?
All areas marked in red are slated for closure whenever this thing goes final. The blues areas range from totally closed to fully open for fishing. Was there a particular area you are wondering about?
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:21 AM   #10
PAL
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 754
Story updated with overview maps for La Jolla, PV, Pt Dume and Santa Barbara.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:32 AM   #11
Jimmyz123
Senior Member
 
Jimmyz123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,385
Thanks for putting this all together. It really helps to understand what we are going to see happen, if the state is dumb enough to let it happen.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:50 AM   #12
mermaidhunter
Junior
 
mermaidhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: OC IE
Posts: 29
this blows..... alot!
mermaidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:53 AM   #13
lterrero
Leo
 
lterrero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
What a JOKE, the best spots in LJ are closed. I can't even fish in my front yard! Boat or kayak makes no difference. Somehow these liberals need to be stopped.
Yeah, all these regulations, what impact can kayaks anglers do to ecology specially to those migratory fish and how many you can catch or fit in you kayak; freedom is only a word & a fishing license is only $48.35
lterrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #14
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory
 
wiredantz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Under the Shadow
Posts: 2,290
I can't even tell what part of la jolla is open, it just looks like the area around the pier is open while everything else is red.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:10 PM   #15
PAL
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 754
^It is bad, no denying. If we hadn't fought tooth and nail, we would have lost all of La Jolla. That didn't happen.

Here's the deal. When and if this goes into effect, the north-south reserve line will be pushed out to the point. From there, you can fish south to the end of Windnsea and north and west as far as you want. Going north is a thing of the past unless all you're after is bait or you don't mind paddling up to the Glider Port.

Look at the La Jolla overview map. I'm taking about that big open space between the two MPA clusters (that last word is SO appropriate).



I don't mean to undersell the impact, which is huge. BUT - it is just plain wrong to say all of La Jolla is going, going, gone. We retain access to the most popular sections. I can't tell you how much effort that took, into the 1,000s of man hours from the hardcore at of BWE, Baytubers, KSF, etc.

That isn't good enough to me, so I support the Ocean Access Protection Fund - a legal war chest for anglers. You should too.

Don't forget Keep America Fishing either, another worthy place to send money to battle this thing.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #16
Jimmyz123
Senior Member
 
Jimmyz123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,385
Thanks PAL for posting all of this and thanks to EVERYONE who has, is, and will keep fighting this. Some of us may not have been able to attend the meetings but we still are giving our support in the ways that we can. I support the Keep America Fishing and have and will keep donating to help the fight.

I can't afford the money to be donating, but I do want my son to be able to fish in the same waters I did and still will fish in. I've said it before that I think some how some way I think this will all get thrown out some how.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #17
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory
 
wiredantz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Under the Shadow
Posts: 2,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post
^It is bad, no denying. If we hadn't fought tooth and nail, we would have lost all of La Jolla. That didn't happen.

Here's the deal. When and if this goes into effect, the north-south reserve line will be pushed out to the point. From there, you can fish south to the end of Windnsea and north and west as far as you want. Going north is a thing of the past unless all you're after is bait or you don't mind paddling up to the Glider Port.

Look at the La Jolla overview map. I'm taking about that big open space between the two MPA clusters (that last word is SO appropriate).



I don't mean to undersell the impact, which is huge. BUT - it is just plain wrong to say all of La Jolla is going, going, gone. We retain access to the most popular sections. I can't tell you how much effort that took, into the 1,000s of man hours from the hardcore at of BWE, Baytubers, KSF, etc.

That isn't good enough to me, so I support the Ocean Access Protection Fund - a legal war chest for anglers. You should too.

Don't forget Keep America Fishing either, another worthy place to send money to battle this thing.

so when this goes through the OEX shop will be in RED and you will have to paddle for a 1 mile and a half in order to go fishing?
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:14 PM   #18
dorado50
Senior Member
 
dorado50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: La Jolla Shores
Posts: 1,626
the best LJ fishing is just past the current reserve and out to Pt.LJ. They might as well close the whole damn thing! BASTARDS...
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:49 PM   #19
Aaron&Julie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Spring Valley
Posts: 1,400
Scripps

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post
Going north is a thing of the past unless all you're after is bait or you don't mind paddling up to the Glider Port.


Paul,
We're a little confused about the blue area around Scripps pier. Since blue areas are either totally open or fully closed, wouldn't that make the blue area at and north of the pier fully open for fishing of all types, besides bait? If so, then one wouldn't have to go all the way north to the glider port to start fishing north, correct?
Thanks.
__________________
"Never say die"
Aaron&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:31 PM   #20
PAL
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 754
Quote:
We're a little confused about the blue area around Scripps pier. Since blue areas are either totally open or fully closed, wouldn't that make the blue area at and north of the pier fully open for fishing of all types, besides bait? If so, then one wouldn't have to go all the way north to the glider port to start fishing north, correct?
I'm glad you asked. The blue areas range from closed to fishing to totally open. It is very confusing - you have to look MPA by MPA for the regulations.

That blue splotch that starts at the pier is the San Diego-Scripps Coastal SMCA. Here are plain English regs:

Quote:
San Diego-Scripps Coastal SMCA, La Jolla - No fishing except baitfish by hook and line. Southern boundary at base of Scripps Pier. Northern boundary is off the La Jolla Farms area, south of the Glider Port. Closed area includes Black's Beach.
If you looked up the actual regs, you'd see it listed as "coastal pelagics by hook and line" or some such. Coastal pelagics are sardines, anchovies, and mackerel etc. Yellowtail are NOT coastal pelagics, and neither are squid.

Quote:
so when this goes through the OEX shop will be in RED and you will have to paddle for a 1 mile and a half in order to go fishing?
That isn't accurate if by OEX you mean the beach launch at Avenida de la Playa. Right now the reserve boundary is roughly a half mile out. Pushing the boundary to the point makes the trip about 2/3 of a mile one way. We battled it hard but never made headway.

Aside from losing the inside fishing grounds ( ), at the typical paddling speed of 3 miles an hour, that trip out will take 7 minutes longer.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 2002 Big Water's Edge. All rights reserved.