Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
Nic D

A few less seals in LJ

saw this on the spear board

"Was out looking for Whites yesterday morning with Joaquin at the outside kelp, when I came up slow from about 40-45ft and hovered at 20ft. A shadow slowly appeared to my side, and I slo-mo'd the gun to point at what I thought might be a tanker WSB. It materialized as a sharkish shape...still no big deal, probably a 7-Gill. At the viz range of 12ft, it turned towards me, and I plainly saw the cone nose, and grin of a 9 footer. We looked at each other as my kidneys squeezed big time, and it slowly turned back on it's path and swam away non chalantly.

Headed for the boat as I whistled Joaquin over. He got in pretty damn fast, weightbelt and all! Sat around eating for a while, but didn't see the Taxman near the surface. Called it a day."

are there always gws in LJ? or is this just a passer by?

Last edited by Nic D; 08-14-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:33 PM   #2
Gino

For how deep La jolla is. Im suprised they arent seen more often. This time of year they are always around. you just may not see them
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
Aaron

Yes, there are always great white sharks in La Jolla. ALWAYS. Especially during hot wsb and yt bites. Definitely not worth the risk
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:45 PM   #4
Nic D

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapdawg711 View Post
Yes, there are always great white sharks in La Jolla. ALWAYS. Especially during hot wsb and yt bites. Definitely not worth the risk
classic

I'm a believer that God is in control and if its my time, then its my time. Besides, How can anyone be thinking about a GWS when there's a hot bite. lol
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
THE DARKHORSE

Believe it or not...

There were two boats trolling that Seal cutout thingamajiggy yesterday. About 100' back in the prop wash. Apparently, like most other blind boaters they weren't too worried about running over kayaks. Once again, the pedals probably saved a life. I'll give these guys a pass, though---I'm sure it's exciting watching that cutout with anticipation, cameras ready, waiting to capture whitey with the condo in the background.

I'd chime in with my most recent GWS encounter, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't help my business. As a matter of fact---I know it wouldn't help my business .
And to those who might be surprised about a Great White Shark sighting---
It's the Pacific Ocean!
Old 08-14-2010, 09:18 PM   #6
IntrntFshrman

Awwww....come on Josh...If I can hear that story and still go out ...anybody can!
IntrntFshrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:41 PM   #7
danny
Danny

seals

can we eat them ? are they protected ? I do not think we have any gws look at all the baby seals.
danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:37 PM   #8
Willy

Quote:
I do not think we have any gws look at all the baby seals.
That's exactly why we do...

Next time you have the chance, thank a hippie. The man in the grey suit feeds well on their beloved seals.
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:33 PM   #9
Billy V

I've seen some marks that would qualify for a large shark lazily passing under the boat.
I've noticed these sharks don't like to fin, so you will not even know they are there - unless you spot it on the meter and get a glance as it passes under you.

From the vantage point of the tower I have seen large shadows a couple of times this month, but not anything I could confirm as a shark by sight.

Its behavior seems like a curious shark. When I tossed some live and dead sardines out into the area - No Sealion popped up to eat them.

Process of elimination.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote