Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
Hypoxic1

fishfinders

Ok,
went 5 pages deep and saw nothing on fishfinders. If budget wasnt a factor, what would it be? I have seen several b and w fishfinders but have also seen color tat is also containing a gps. any solid information would be most appreciated. Brand, why you liked it.......what did it cost, and was it waterproof.
thank you.
Chris
Hypoxic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:15 PM   #2
JrBasser

I would love a humminbird 383c
JrBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:25 PM   #3
Hypoxic1

never heard of it. why would you love it?
thanks
Hypoxic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:41 PM   #4
Billy V

I can only speak to the one I have The Hummingbird Piranha Max 215 It has performed well for 3 years with no issues at all, and no corrosion at the terminals.

I use dielectric grease on the connections each time I go fishing. It gives decent readings on fish to 200 ft. and works very good marking bait fish.

It also runs on 8 rechargeable AA batteries for a long time (a couple of outings) 800 watts verses 1600+ for most other units.

IMO -- Epoxy on the transducer is the better way to go. I have also tried Goop and the picture was not as good.
-----------------------------------------------------
I have wanted to try a better high end FF unit and might purchase one this year, but this $89 Fish Finder has worked just fine so I leave well enough alone.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:43 PM   #5
Corey

Garmin 178c GPS/FF combo w/ internal antenna. I have had this one for 3 years with no problems. I do not baby it or try to keep it dry- It gets abused and just keeps working great. Costs around $400 or so.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:34 AM   #6
JrBasser

I like the 383c because it has a bright color easy to use screen, it is simple to use, gives a good picture, ahs a nice accurate gps, and will hold up to the abuse of kayak fishing. plus the transducer fits in my scupper hole
Old 08-19-2009, 07:49 PM   #7
Bryantfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrBasser View Post
I would love a humminbird 383c

I have one and I love it!
Bryantfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:24 PM   #8
bloodykayak
Junior

I would highly reccomend the Humingbird 383C. I just recently installed one on my Prowler Big Game after doing a lot of shopping around. The install is super easy and you can get a transducer to fit in your scupper hole. The quick disconect monitor is a nice feature when storing your kayak.
bloodykayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:31 PM   #9
punchjamesarnol

I just bought a Humminbird 525 and i'm powering it up with a 1600 mah r/c car battery. Ran it for over 4 hours no prob, still plenty of juice for my kids to play with thier car in the driveway for a good 20 min. didnt make me a better fisherman, but i can see the fish now though. My time will come when I wont make any rookie mistakes, last time I had a hook up, line peeled off, set the drag tight reeled it in for a good 5 secs, line went limp so i jerked on it a few times, line peeled out again, reeled it on for a few, yanked it, GONE.... Next time...... I'll get that SOB! I cant get over it. Drinkin now with my buds LATER!
punchjamesarnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:49 PM   #10
peguinpower
bing!

Look at power in watts and resolution in pixels. Power lets you see more, resolution lets you understand what you see a bit better.

For whatever reason, lowrance's graphics look better to me. I think they are easier to interpret.

/bing
peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #11
THE DARKHORSE

What Bing said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peguinpower View Post
Look at power in watts and resolution in pixels. Power lets you see more, resolution lets you understand what you see a bit better.

For whatever reason, lowrance's graphics look better to me. I think they are easier to interpret.

/bing

X2
Old 08-19-2009, 12:12 PM   #12
yakrider

Lowrance...Hands down!!!
if money is not an issue...
get the HD5...
I have the 522c iGPS
I think Josh has the 527 iGPS
both awesome machines...
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:13 PM   #13
JrBasser

Take a look at this picture:
Can you really see depth to the hill as it appears?
http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/...hfinders/X125/
Old 08-20-2009, 09:38 AM   #14
emrliquidlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodykayak View Post
I would highly reccomend the Humingbird 383C. I just recently installed one on my Prowler Big Game after doing a lot of shopping around. The install is super easy and you can get a transducer to fit in your scupper hole. The quick disconect monitor is a nice feature when storing your kayak.
I just saw the 383C at the Bass Pro Shop in the 909.

Great clarity over the 383. I was told that in bright sunlight it would be easier to see. I guess the black and white models can be difficult to see in bright sun.

The price of the unit was $399. When I count in the cost of a 12 volt battery and charger it starts adding up.

I asked about sales, and really there are none. The salesman mentioned that I might get a discount when the new models come out, but don't count on it.

Anyone got a line on a better price?
emrliquidlife is offline   Reply With Quote