Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-23-2012, 12:31 AM   #1
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

i poo'd in my kayak...

Left around midnight to the launch. had plans to sleep a few hours then get on the water before the parking lot filled up, well i arrived and seen boats already staged so figured "wth", ill launch now.

hit the bathroom as soon as i got there, it was gnarly, something hit me hard, but i was sure it would pass... drove over to the launch and started unloading. got the yak off, seat on and ... "uh ohh..." locked up and went to the bathroom... get back. finish getting everything hooked up and rods in the holder, lights on then... "oh no.. again?" off to the bathroom... get back for a second time, go park the car, go back to the yak and i decided i'd have a pre launch smoke... light up, half way through im headed to the bathroom again... "shit this is going to suck..." so i do my business and then smoke another and watch the waves and do another bathroom visit for good measure... ok, hopefully its out of my system..

in the kayak and paddling out at 0230.

get to one of the boats and he's got his under water lights on and a spot light shining in the water, but just chillin. i do a circle around him looking for structure.... nothing, no bait either... next boat. i do a pass along 4 boats and no bait.

off to the kelp. I found a line in about 50ft that had no kelp and started trying to mark schools of bait, for nothing. so i got to a pre dertermined spot, pulled out the glow iron, pinned on a squid and sent it down. rod in holder, clicker set and... "oh no..." yup, gatta go #2...

ill spare you the details but it involved the center hatch and a plastic bag.

so there i am, doin my business when i hear "rrrrrr...... rrr... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ" ... great.

it doesn't do a whole hell of alot of running, i finish my business and lay into it. its fighting but not as hard as i thought it would... i knew it was a WSB, but i thought they fought alot harder... get it up and i figure out why. it was barely legal, about 30-32"... i looked it over a couple times, and decided to let it go, figuring with the hot bite and all i'd get a 20, 30 or even a 40lb model. slipped him back in and cursed myself 2 seconds later for not takin a pic. oh well, that 40lber will make up for it. also at this time i was getting pretty dizzy and feeling seasick from all my bathroom visits and loss of water.. already drank my gatorade and a water bottle and was working on the 2nd.

rebait and start dragging squid on the bottom with another rod, pull up a 16" rockfish. finally day breaks and i've drifted pretty close to the mlpa so i start paddling. find another spot with alot of bait and make a few macs and some giant sardines. rig up a reverse dropper and send it down.. as soon as it hits i get a tap, taptaptap... bend... "shit, halibut", let out some line count to 7... twice, then reel down and start cranking. at first its dead weight, then gives and feels like im pulling a rock off the bottom. i get it up to color and its the biggest halibut i've ever seen, it was about 5-7ft down and looked as wide as my X-factor is. (33") then something clicks in its little brain and it freaks out, mouth opens wide and tries to spit the bait and then dives straight down. 10 seconds later i pull up a skinned sarding still nose hooked.

by this time its around 8:30-9am and i'm feeling sick and dehydrated and really hungry.. so i decide its time to go. the paddle from the point took me around 40 minutes... waited outside the breakers for a couple mins and listened to the boats on the radio talk about baiting a mako, then landed. packed up everything in about 10 mins and was off.

wasnt all that bad, got some taco meat, but could have been alot better. hopefully my next trip ill be 100% ready to fish.

good luck out there guys.