Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2009, 07:07 AM   #1
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Catch and Release advise

There has been a lot of chatter lately about harvesting trophy size fish. I release most of the fish I catch, but then, I have never landed a trophy-size fish. I am sure that I am ever fortunate to catch a really big one, I will have no qualms about keeping and eating it. The possibilty of such an event made me realize that I have no idea how to safely, (for me and the fish), release a big toothy speciman.

Obviously, when fishing with bait, you could just cut the line and sacrafice the hook. I suspect that this option would not be considered by many if the critter has eaten one of your favorite lures.

So here are my questions.

What is the best way to release a big fish so it will survive to thrill someone else another day?

What if you have caught a shark or big halibut with lots of very sharp teeth?

I have seldom caught a fish with an old hook or lure stuck in its mouth. Does this mean that fish who break off a line or are released using the cut-the-line method will eventually lose the hook? Does anyone know how long a hook will stay in a fish under this scenario?

Finally, and this is kind of a big question, how many big fish actually survive after being fought to exaustion and then set free?

Please do not turn my questions into any kind of a political discussion on the merits of C&R. That would be a subject for another thread. I just want to know the answers to my questions.

Thanks,

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
taggermike

Hey Bob, good questions. There are several factors in the survival of released fish. Species, water temp, hook placement, length of fight, amount of handling, time out of water, and if a net is used are some that come to mind. If you know you are out for a some C&R fishing use circle hooks and heavier line. Circles reduce gut hooking and heavier line shortens the fighting time and reduces fish exhaustion. I don't like nets for releasing fish. There are knotless meshes that don't tear the fins and strip slime layers but any contact can cause a fish trauma. The clasic shots of large outh bass hanging at an angle from their lower jaws is not the best way to handle a fish. Keep them in the water if you can and if not, keep the fish horizontal and support as much of the body as you can. If the fish is hooked deeper in the mouth, throat, or gut then cutting the line is much better than digging/ripping the hook out. The other, and often best, option for a bleeding or deeply hooked fish is to take it home and eat it. Another aspect with large, strong, or toothy fish is to protect you self. All sharks should be cut off at boat side if possible just for safety sake. I once tried to be a nice guy to a small thresher and wanted to cut him off with as little line hanging off him as possible and I got tail slapped hard. It got me in the leg, thankfully, but hit me hard enough to leave a welt/bruise through a 3mm wet suit. The next time he came around I cut him off with about 6 feet of line out. I was way out side the Carlsbad power plant by myself near dark when this happen. This incident could have been a desaster. I hooked a 6' black tip shark off Nags Head NC last summer and I didn't even think about being a nice guy. I cut that shark off with about his body length of line attached. It's easy to say, but stay cool when the fish is at boat side. Don't hurry, and have your release gear, pliers, boga grip, ready. I gently released, not beat up, bleeding, or exhausted, fish has a good chance of survival. I hope this helped. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:30 AM   #3
dorado50

Cut leader closest to hook as possible. Hook will rust out within days. If fish is gut hooked again cut leader or pull on board, your call....most big fish will survive. I've caught many a marlin and cutting leader at hook, if fish comes in belly up revive it and set it free. In my opinion those boga grips just add more trauma to the fish.......
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote