Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2010, 09:23 AM   #1
habanero

Not to throw saltwater on this party but those harbor freight wheels only lasted a few trips before they fell apart. I paid about $4 each so no big loss. I did by another pair form them that are 10" and solid plastic. They should fit with no bushing adapters but I have not installed them. The ones "fongman" posted look great but I wonder is they are 100% plastic?
habanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:38 AM   #2
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by habanero View Post
Not to throw saltwater on this party but those harbor freight wheels only lasted a few trips before they fell apart. I paid about $4 each so no big loss. I did by another pair form them that are 10" and solid plastic. They should fit with no bushing adapters but I have not installed them. The ones "fongman" posted look great but I wonder is they are 100% plastic?
I use my cart to move my yak from the garage to the truck. The only time it gets wet is when I rinse the yak off after I get back. I was planning on giving a squirt of WD40 on the wheels ever so often. I do like the all plastic wheels from Northern Suppy. I'll order a set next time I need something from them. They must weigh half as much as the metal wheels. They look like they have metal bearings in them though.
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:50 AM   #3
fongman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandydiego View Post
I do like the all plastic wheels from Northern Suppy. I'll order a set next time I need something from them. They must weigh half as much as the metal wheels. They look like they have metal bearings in them though.
These are the same wheels used on many of the $100.00+ kayak carts. The wheels do not have any metal parts. The bushing inserts are plastic.

Combine your orders and save on the s/h. Total cost for 2 sets was $50.00.
fongman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongman View Post
These are the same wheels used on many of the $100.00+ kayak carts. The wheels do not have any metal parts. The bushing inserts are plastic.

Combine your orders and save on the s/h. Total cost for 2 sets was $50.00.
Very good to know on the bushings. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:42 PM   #5
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

The problem with the HF wheels and many similar wheels found on Chinese import stuff is that the bolts that hold the wheels together have not been tightened properly. I have had these wheels fall apart on dollys, wagons and other similar stuff imported from China.

A little loctight and a wrench and you should be fine.

That said, the all-plastic wheels look very nice and are probably worth the extra cost.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:17 PM   #6
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
The problem with the HF wheels and many similar wheels found on Chinese import stuff is that the bolts that hold the wheels together have not been tightened properly. I have had these wheels fall apart on dollys, wagons and other similar stuff imported from China.

A little loctight and a wrench and you should be fine.

That said, the all-plastic wheels look very nice and are probably worth the extra cost.

Bob
It's what you expect from HF for $5. Plus the wheels stink for 6 months. Bonus.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:22 AM   #7
roadx

ordered two of the fongman wheels thanks for the heads ups