Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
THE DARKHORSE

Tunnel vision...

Tunnel vision...

As much as I love watching Yellowtail explode on the surface iron before draining the spool, it's still just a close second in my mind. The essence of kayak fishing "for me"and that automatic stealth our plastic vessels provide is something few kayak anglers take full advantage of. Watching a giant broom tail sneak up from below is pure hand shaking adrenaline, no matter how many times you've been lucky enough to witness it. These beautiful giants are the ultimate kayak trophy in my book and I cherish each and every one of them. I know for a fact that a new wave of life carrying tons of schoolie Yellowtail has moved up the line, but honestly, I could care less. Yellowtail are available year round in La Jolla, and quite frankly they're easy to catch this time of year through the summer. I know they'll be waiting for me as soon as I leave the kelp, but for now the jig sticks sit lonely on the rack at home. Even though I've been posting one out of every six fish I catch lately, I thought I'd share my most recent trophy to reiderate the obvious, something everyone already knows. There's giant fish in La Jolla.

I spoke with a fourth generation local recently that I have a great deal of respect for, concerning the frequency of my posts. Summer is here, and soon every guy trolling a Mackerel will be posting Yellowtail from the productive waters of La Jolla. Out of respect for the local fisherman who might be effected by my frequent posts I've decided to compromise and tone it down a few notches. If you've read my fishing reports from this past year you might have already come to the conclusion: ridiculous fishing for Pelagic species goes off in La Jolla all the time, year round. I hear guys talk about how there's "no fish in north county" or how "over-hyped the fishing in La Jolla is". If that's your belief or you've already bought into this B.S., fantastic! I know guys up the coast from Del Mar, Dana Point, Newport, Malibu, all of which get a trickle of schoolie Yellowtail and White Seabass too. At times it might bust open for a "short while" in these areas with consecutive days of success and it should be obvious that White Seabass can be found on nearly every signifigant kelp patch up the coast. But, what locals don't want you to know is just how many damn fish are in La Jolla, year round. I know this because I was one of them not too long ago...hell, I wasn't born here so I'm not even a local. But, for some time I was disgusted by the fishing pressure put on this area after consecutive reports of succes, especially those put in print and my anti-internet views were well known. The truth of the matter is I didn't even know how to turn on a computer until March of 07' when I signed up for WCW, which was probably a big part of my anti-internet ways. From what I've gathered from my friends up the coast, who all know how to fish, is that you simply can't compare how many fish occasionaly come through all these areas to the north with the Mt. Everest of Kayak fishing...a place that "will be closed" unless every single person reading this speaks up. No, I don't mean freakin' twenty-five of us, I mean every damn person who owns a kayak ,and for that matter every damn person who'll never get a chance to see just how good the fishing really is here. I'm getting ready to battle traffic again, heading up the coast to do something I hate (public speaking), "so I can sleep at night when this special place is closed a year from now". I'll tell you the truth, besides donating huge amounts of my time to helping others catch fish, I'm a pretty selfish fishing guide. I've filled my trophy case, many, many times fishing La Jolla. Besides surfing, catching big fish daily, and helping others to do the same I don't do too much. This isn't written to keep "my fishing spot open" or to help my business. I've prepared myself for the worst and I'll deal with any challenges that present themselves. This is written for you guys just getting into the sport, maybe you've gotten a taste of what La Jolla has to offer, or lived vicariously through others posts for some time. For those guys who've made the pilgrimage a few times and maybe got skunked, that's fishing. The facts are the facts, there's more fish here than "the guys who've learned to catch them" know what to do with. The fact of the matter is "You will never know just how good it is", unless you do something about it.

You don't have to sign up on my post saying you'll come. I don't feel the need to roll call on posts or sign up on others to do what needs to be done, actions speak louder than internet words.

Speak up or forever hold your peace!

Last edited by THE DARKHORSE; 05-19-2009 at 01:57 PM.
THE DARKHORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

United we stand see ya in a few hours Josh.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:31 AM   #3
NextBite

AMEN JOSH
Old 05-21-2009, 02:12 PM   #4
THE DARKHORSE

Too late to save this fifty pounder...

But, not too late to save this incrdible fishery from becoming a Seal park.

A big thanks goes out to Wayne (1Flatfish) for letting me barrow his sabiki rod and assisting with the gaff. Even though this picture was taken with a camera phone, I'll cherish the memory of this fish forever.

I've received a little hate mail for this post. I understand completely, and the last thing I want is to bring huge crowds to the secret spot, La Jolla. To reiderate the obvious, this post was written with one intention and one intention only: Bringing together every person who cares about losing La Jolla forever...and "I think we need every person who has no idea what they'll be losing too" . For those who think this post was written with some ego-fueled, pumping up business agenda...think again. I would gladly donate my business in exchange for everyone being able to enjoy La Jolla for years to come. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to keep La Jolla open and thousands of other anglers are too. Unfortunetly, the vast majority will sit on the sidelines and watch our "chance we have now to speak", go up in smoke.

Last edited by THE DARKHORSE; 05-21-2009 at 05:58 PM.
THE DARKHORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:47 PM   #5
Hunter (The 80's Man)

Hey Josh, I agree with you. There are a lot of us that live vicariously through the many posts of big fish caught in La Jolla (myself included).
I just began kayak fishing last summer, and I've only fished DP a handful of times, and only once at LJ (with no success I might add, only a ray to save me from a skunk). I read your posts and hear you mention the many locals that fish La Jolla, yet I, too, was suprised to find there was little representation at the MLPA on Tues. Yeah, we may have had 30 kayakers there, all willing to speak out and fight for the waters we've come to love, but in truth there are other kayak fishing websites with untold membership and tournaments that go on monthly with 50-100 turnout. WHERE ARE YOU GUYS??? LJ? DP? WHERE'S THE PLASTIC NAVY? WHERE'S THE NEWPORT CROWD? HOW 'BOUT HUNTINGTON HARBOR? I live in Riverside, and with the limited exposure I've had to kayak fishing, felt very strongly about attending the MLPA meeting on the 19th where I had the privelege of meeting several of you. I don't live near your stomping grounds, but felt very strongly to fight for them. I HATE PUBLIC SPEAKING and wasn't even sure I could go through with it, but after about 5 min. of hearing the "anti" crowd talking about "their beaches" and all the closures they want, there was no way I could remain silent. We need to show up and fight for what we love as painful as it may be, as inconvenient as it is, we have so much to lose!

ps. Tyler, thanks for the talking points. Hope to fish with you soon.

Also, huge thank you, Paul, for all you're doing!

Rob Hunter

Hunter (The 80's Man) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:56 AM   #6
MalibuJohnny

As promised I will be nice

As promised I will be nice and keep my views to myself....with bitten tongue
But I will say this…

Hooray for your efforts to keep your business afloat...oh and as well as keeping the fishery from becoming a seal hang out. As so many often do...stay on the sidelines and watch.

“For those who think this post was written with some ego-fueled, pumping up business agenda...think again. I would gladly donate my business in exchange for everyone being able to enjoy La Jolla for years to come”. It is done to show your efforts to those who are not able to or not wanting to chase the “Ghost”

Keeping these "secret" fisheries sacred and for the glory of a few, is the battle...well it’s too late! As all popular things go...they become exploited by those who find out where the fish are.

Remember the Gill Netting fishing fleets? They are gone. Remember the Abalone fisheries? They are gone… From Hugh McCormick Smith, John Nathan Cobb and many others before us have tried and died in their efforts. Mr. Cobb was an uneducated Pacific Fisherman who knew the value to theses fisheries and dedicated his life to it. Cobb developed health problems and suffered a heart attack in autumn 1929. He died in La Jolla, California, in January 1930. Cobb's efforts helped establish the foundations of fisheries education at the University of Washingtonlace>.

So I ask everyone…what have you done today? For your fisheries of tomorrow?>>

· I sent my letters
· Sent my faxes
· Asked all my buddies to participate in this very important issue
· And sent a few dollars

Reason for all this, so my kids can experience the same as all of us!