Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
dbarnett66
Danodog

Beginning to accessorize the 2012 X-Factor

I am slowly selling off some of my woodworking gear to accessorize the blem 2012 X Factor that I bought a couple of weeks ago at OEX Mission Bay. I was hoping to sell stuff in time to take advantage of the latest sale, but I may have to wait a few days and pay full price. With that being said, I am itching to get this yak on the water.

A couple of questions first.

Anyone in the plastic navy using the Gone Fishin Kayak seats? I want a nice padded and functional seat with storage and this seems to fit the bill. I am torn between the GTS Expedition and the Gone Fishin Kayak Seat. It seems like I might be able to ditch the milk crate if I get the Gone fishin Seat.

Anyone using the The Fisherman PFD from Stohlquist? Again, I am torn between this seat and the Kokatat Bahia Tour Fishing Life Vest. I am a larger guy and I know that the Kokatat vest would fit me. Just not sure about the Stohlquist.

Here is what I have decided so far.

I am going to purchase the Lowrance Mark-4 Sonar/GPS Combo from OEX and let them install the device since I don't want to intentionally put holes in my Yak.

I am also going to pay OEX to convert the new battery storage compartment to a live bait tank.

Ordered a full sized white milk crate in white to match the yak.

Going to buy Aqua Bound Sting Ray Fiberglass at OEX.

Beside the nick/nack stuff, do you have any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Danodog
dbarnett66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:45 AM   #2
MrPatrick

Non nic nak stuff

Radio
Whistle- required
Net greater than 18" opening- required
Good set of wheels to move kayak
Proper clothing to keep dry and sun protected
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
YakMedic

I use the Stohlquist Fisherman PFD, I bought the size Universal Plus and it adjusts so far out I don't think it would be an issue. OEX is a retailer and they probably have it in stock, go try it on its a great vest. I don't see anything wrong with the Kokatat Bahia either get what you like.

The seats you are comparing I strongly recommend the GTS Expedition, you cant get a much more comfy seat. I haven't heard of the gone fishin seat, it looks like they focused on storage and not comfort (the seat pad looks uncomfortable).

I cannot stress enough the importance of a good seat and a good paddle. You can cut corners in other areas but comfort and adequate propulsion will keep you on the water longer and you will have a much more enjoyable day.

YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
dbarnett66
Danodog

Thanks for the information. Hopefully my sales will be complete tomorrow and I should have a good chunk of change to buy what I need to get on the water.
dbarnett66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
dorado50

Fishing rods,reels to match, a few hooks,some leader material,sinkers,and maybe a gaff.......
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:42 PM   #6
ctrujillo

As mentioned a good seat and paddle is a must.you don't want to cut corners on these items if you plan on spending alot of time on the water.i had the seirssports angler seat on my xfactor and could go all day in comfort.i had a cheap stock cobra paddle but upgraded to the warner camano paddle and what a difference those two things made.you'll pay more but if you get into the sport you'll end up upgrading anyways
ctrujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #7
jruiz
Large Member

Some people claim that getting stickers made of their moniker and putting it all over their kayak was the best money they spent
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote