Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-23-2014, 09:03 AM   #1
toadstoadsonly

Damn Sea Dog Bit me!!

I normally fish the beach for Halibut but due to the huge swells I opt to fish inside the harbor for once and try to catch a legal in the harbor around the bait barge. One of the fellow yakers earlier in the day told me "Hey watch out for the Sea Lions they will try to eat your halibut". I thought that was kinda weird since I never had problems with Sea Lions and Halibut.

A few hours after I had a short halibut on while reeling it up I see a Sea Lion pup trying to eat it I quickly bring it on board so it does not get chomped. While I am trying to un hook the halibut the Sea Lion keeps trying to get on top of my yak so it could eat the Halibut. I tried to push it off with my Carbon Fiber Paddle it would not let off so I hit it with my paddle. Keep in mind the Carbon Paddle is light so it does not do much to the Sea Lion. Right after the bastard came back up and bit my leg good thing I was able to move my leg out of the way so the dog did not chomp down on it. I grabbed by gaff afterwards and got it ready and sure enough he still tried to get on my yak, a good whack with the back of my gaff sent it running. I am unsure if I should call DFG or the harbor and report it as a problem animal, if I were a small kid this Sea Lion could of done some major damage.

The same sea lion later in the day kept playing with another yaker since they fed him some bait. He stayed around them like a pet dog for a few hours trying to beg for some bait.

photo 20140518_202921.jpeg

Luckily it was a mere flesh wound and I got a good laugh out of it. Some boaters were rolling when they saw this happen. On a side note the short halibut are biting in the harbor no legals yesterday. The water temp in the harbor is 68 degree's outside the harbor near the beach 70 degree's. Water Clarity pretty crappy in an out of the harbor.

Since I am relatively new to yaking the Dana Area I ended up venturing North my first time to see what I could catch. Thanks for the distance reference to everyone who chimed in on my question on the General Section. The week Prior instead of pedaling at night I opt to head out in the day so I could see whats out there. I went North to Salt Creek while fishing in the kelp I hooked something that I thought was a Seabass it was peeling drag huge head thumps. When it came up it was the last thing I expected to catch a huge trigger fish, I dropped down hooked another one. I yell to my buddy Jim to get his ass over to this spot he hooks and lands 3 more I dump a few.

toadstoadsonly is offline   Reply With Quote