Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-03-2008, 11:29 PM   #1
frugalfisher

Kick Ass!! First Thresher, Solo on 5/28

I was thinking about just going home and taking a nap because I fell asleep on the trolley ride home from SDSU and because I didn't feel up to exercising while not catching fish. I had trolled from Thursday to Thursday the week before for a Thresher with no luck except for my buddy, who doesn't even own a fishing rod caught a 50lber on that Sunday, on my spare X-Factor with my gear. I had read on BWE that someone had caught a 100lber at 5am the day before and was hopeful there was another for me. So anyway, last Wednesday at 5:45pm I launched into breakers and a pretty good wind. I didn't see another person on the water the rest of the evening.
I paddled straight out to the buoy line and dropped in my green mac mag-30 Rapala with 125 lb crimped mono leader and 65lb spectra on my Avet 2 speed with custom Calstar. Yes, I was seriously wanting to hook a big shark. I dropped my Sabiki rig in a few times and couldn't get the bait I was seeing on the FF, so I trolled it along with the Rapala hoping for bait or a T. I was zigzagging along the southern edge of the canyon headed out in 90-150 ft of water not knowing if I wanted to go north or go straight out. I cleared the grass off my Rapala a few times and was turning my head to see if there was action on the tip when I saw the hit! I was very excited but quickly disappointed when I started reeling cause all I had was slack then a little resistance and more slack just enough that I thought whatever it was, was gone, until the line came tight and went straight down ~50ft (I was reeling like hell the whole time), then I was sure there was something big on the other end and it started running and taking line! I was being pulled out and just had enough drag not to lose to much line but could make any either against the pull so I thumbed the spool, took it out of gear and gave the drag a couple of clicks and then pushed the lever all the back into full. I was then able to get close and I was waiting for a jump or perhaps a Mako to appear. I finally go to see the 4 ft leader end and a Thresher tail and was thrilled. I've wanted to catch one for 5 years from when I was visiting San Diego for summer classes at UCSD and had talked to Chris while he was launching and had searched online about the sport.
The shark went down about 20 feet a couple times, I saw it was hooked solid and I wanted it to be tired. On the third time the tail was up, I made a solid grab with both hands and was ready to lean the other other way for a good wrestle but the Thresher had other ideas and went off, pulling me and the kayak OVER, maybe I should of let go but I didn't, the combination of strength, quickness, waves, and a good grip under the Rapala (which still had 5 barbs free) were factors, but then I was swimming (no preserver) and scared. I had remembered to get my knife ready for the gills, loosen the drag and have a tail rope ready before the attempted landing so after the recovery that knife was gone, the shark had run a long way, but the rod was leashed and my sunglasses were still on. So I reeled it back again, while getting the spare knife from the tackle bag, a pair of needle nose and my dikes ready. I again saw the hook was secure so I slapped the tail and let it fight down a few times. I wanted it to be worn out for the next attempt. I wasn't confident anymore that I could do this but I was determined, so I grabbed again, was able to tail rope, remove the hook and start pulling it up and out when it went berserk flipping us over again! I had been biting the wooden handle of the 4" Rapala fillet knife the whole time of the flip and recovery and didn't lose my glasses this time either. The 10 ft rope held, tied off in the front hatch, which made flipping the yak over a little more difficult. I got situated again and this time decided to just haul the shark into the yak lengthwise putting it's head down by my feet without cutting the gills and was successful. I grabbed the knife out of my mouth and stabbed while cutting the left side gills and the blade broke off but I had given the death blow!
I weigh 275lb, the shark was a solid 90-100lbs, and I had 4 poles, tackle bag, dry bag, battery, bait-tube, etc.. so I was maxed out on the 425lb buoyancy of the Prowler 15. I was getting pushed around by the waves, taking on water, rubbing my arm and leg on the sharkskin, and trying to get back in cause it was sunset and I had dinner in the boat.
God, thank you, patience, perseverance and determination paid off.
Attached Images

Last edited by lambadmin; 06-04-2008 at 08:17 AM. Reason: editing
frugalfisher is offline   Reply With Quote