Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
Flyfisher70

Trouble With Transducer

Well I think it's the transducer, today was the first time I used this fish finder. I did not get any readings from the transducer, the fish finder's GPS was working just fine and the battery was fully charged. I did the install myself and I'm thinking I must have did something wrong that caused the transducer not to give off any readings.

Here is an image of the transducer installed inside my X-factor, it's underneath the seating area. It's slightly crooked but I didn't think it was enough to cause the no depth reading. It pretty much did not read anything, it's like if transducer were not plugged in, but it was and the connection seemed fine.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking I'm going to have to remove it and re-install it.
Flyfisher70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher70 View Post
Well I think it's the transducer, today was the first time I used this fish finder. I did not get any readings from the transducer, the fish finder's GPS was working just fine and the battery was fully charged. I did the install myself and I'm thinking I must have did something wrong that caused the transducer not to give off any readings.

Here is an image of the transducer installed inside my X-factor, it's underneath the seating area. It's slightly crooked but I didn't think it was enough to cause the no depth reading. It pretty much did not read anything, it's like if transducer were not plugged in, but it was and the connection seemed fine.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking I'm going to have to remove it and re-install it.
I couldn't find a decent place inside my x-factor i had to mount mine on where the rudder goes.But before i had inside and i use to pour a gallon of water inside and it worked...
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
jbaker

I used a piece of foam from fastlane, gooped it just in front of the center hatch. I put the trans in the foam and add a hand full of water before I launched in my old xfactor. Worked like a charm. Think I might Change my new boat to the same set up.
jbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
Jimmyz123

Quote:

I recommend watching these videos. I did this installation and it works very well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEZ9_C1iKP0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u1d3...eature=related

What I see in the photo is looks as if the transducer may be a little tilted not completely center. I personally like using something a sponge or something to create a ring for the transducer to sit in.

Does your FF have a self test that you can run? How old is the unit? I'm wondering if your Ducer is bad.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:54 PM   #5
Amish Ed

Even though it's tilted in shallow enough water you should get a signal. Call the manufacturer.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:18 AM   #6
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Even though it's tilted in shallow enough water you should get a signal. Call the manufacturer.
Good point.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:48 AM   #7
GregAndrew

If you power it up and cannot hear any ticking noise coming from the Xducer then it is not working. You may also have a setting that turns off the Xducer which you would need to turn on. In deep enough water, even a slight angle could give you no returns on 200khz. Did you try the low frequency (50 or 83)? Those frequencies have a much wider cone angle which would make returns easier from an angled Xducer.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:10 AM   #8
Flyfisher70

Pulled the transducer off, well first I tried to pull it off but that was not happening. I ended up going to the kitchen and getting a butter knife and started to work it under the goop, marine goop sure is strong. Anyhow I was able to get the transducer off. BTW it's a new transducer, the fish finder is old but still works. The transducer was working up until I installed it with the goop inside the kayak hull.

Here is what it looked like after I took it off the kayak hull.

I see a huge bubble on the right side of the goop, I'm wondering if this might have been the cause. I tested the transducer again and it still works, it definitely has something to do with my install.

I cut out the goop so that you guys could take a look at the huge bubble that was on the right side of the transducer.

Yup, there was definitely a slight angle to the transducer. I'm going to have to go back and re-install or just take it down to OEX and have Andy install it correctly.

Any other feed back would be much appreciated.

Thank you much guys!
Old 06-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #9
lterrero
Leo

Goop is an old fashion method, sooner or later a bubble will come up, specially with the kayak up side down on the sun; my best is wet transducer, just lay it flat inside the hull and put a little water about half of inch. I got a Hobie & I tight wrap it to the mast pole
lterrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #10
Flyfisher70

Okay, I believe I've found what the problem was or is, I'm thinking it's the GPS puck I have plugged into the unit, it's mounted just behind the head unit on a thin metal bar. The GPS puck is magnetized on the bottom, I'm thinking the magnet is interfering with the transducer somehow. For whatever reason it does seem like there is some interference with the transducer not sure if the magnet would be causing this a magnetic interference. I unplugged the GPS connection and the sonar started working. I have a handheld Garmin GPSmap 76 so this is just going to be a minor inconvenience.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:44 AM   #11
lterrero
Leo

Okay..! good luck with you Transducer interference and lets go get e'm...
lterrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:15 AM   #12
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Okay, I believe I've found what the problem was or is, I'm thinking it's the GPS puck I have plugged into the unit, it's mounted just behind the head unit on a thin metal bar. The GPS puck is magnetized on the bottom, I'm thinking the magnet is interfering with the transducer somehow. For whatever reason it does seem like there is some interference with the transducer not sure if the magnet would be causing this a magnetic interference. I unplugged the GPS connection and the sonar started working. I have a handheld Garmin GPSmap 76 so this is just going to be a minor inconvenience.
It does not seem logical to me that a GPS puck would interfere with a sonar signal. My guess is that you probably did not have the power or data cable plugged in all the way the first time.

As Leo said, using Goop on the transducer is probably not the best way to mount one of these things. Other options include the wet mount, grease mount or just strapping the Xducer to the lowest point in the hull and adding enough water to cover the bottom of the unit.

The best way I have found to strap the transducer, (or anything else for that matter), to the hull is to glue a couple pad-eyes to the plastic on either side of the unit and secure with a Velcro strap. Another option is to get a piece of closed cell EVA foam, (the stuff flip flop sandals are made of). Cut a tight fitting hole in the foam in the shape of the transducer and glue the foam to the hull. Fill the hole in the foam with water or grease and press the transducer into the hole. If you cut the hole correctly, friction should hold the transducer in place. If not, you may have to add a strap.

Since water can drain away or evaporate, I have found that using grease as the conductor is the best way to go.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #13
kobra

If you decide to mount with goop again, get the foam with the tranny cut out and goop it down. After that has cured, before gooping the tranny, place the tube of goop in a pot of hot water for a little bit. Doing this makes the goop flow better so you don't end up with all the little bubbles. Not having bubbles is very important as they have a negative effect on the sonar signals.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #14
Flyfisher70

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
It does not seem logical to me that a GPS puck would interfere with a sonar signal. My guess is that you probably did not have the power or data cable plugged in all the way the first time.

Bob
I feel the same way. The GPS puck is not the original Lawrance receiver, it's an after market I picked up on Ebay for about twenty bucks. The problem is definitely the GPS puck pictured below.

When I plug the GPS puck cable in, the transducer stops working immediately, has something to do with it for sure, not sure what it is just yet but it's definitely causing a malfunction.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:24 PM   #15
GregAndrew

I know that most FF manufacturers say that you need to avoid contact with the different wires (power, GPS, Xducer etc.) inside the hull. You might try to isolate the GPS cable and puck to see if it contiues to interfere.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote