Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2011, 09:11 PM   #1
Badtaste2k

Question about storing Kayak

I'm going to be picking up an OK T13 in the next moth or so and I have ran into my next temporary roadblock. The house we are currently in has no real good spots to store the Yak! Ugh! Anyways, I have come to a solution. I am going to build an outdoor shed / tent, a bit longer than the Yak on the side of the house. There is shade from the sun and a 8 foot wall next to it. I have planned it out and believe it will work fine. I am concerned with keeping it outdoors, but the temp stays pretty even in San Pedro, and quick access to the yak will be nice since I live a few blocks from Cabrillo.

As for storing the yak, should I build a separate elevated rack and slide the yak on to it? Deck side down or Keel side? Would it be okay to leave the yak on it's rolling cart and prop the front on a stand? That would be ideal for quick access since i could just walk her down to the beach. If that option is feasible, would a scupper cart be better than cradle w/ straps?

I'm sorry I have so many questions but I am trying to limit surprises. Plus I may be a little over excited to be getting a yak!

Thanks!

Dan
Badtaste2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badtaste2k View Post
I'm going to be picking up an OK T13 in the next moth or so and I have ran into my next temporary roadblock. The house we are currently in has no real good spots to store the Yak! Ugh! Anyways, I have come to a solution. I am going to build an outdoor shed / tent, a bit longer than the Yak on the side of the house. There is shade from the sun and a 8 foot wall next to it. I have planned it out and believe it will work fine. I am concerned with keeping it outdoors, but the temp stays pretty even in San Pedro, and quick access to the yak will be nice since I live a few blocks from Cabrillo.

As for storing the yak, should I build a separate elevated rack and slide the yak on to it? Deck side down or Keel side? Would it be okay to leave the yak on it's rolling cart and prop the front on a stand? That would be ideal for quick access since i could just walk her down to the beach. If that option is feasible, would a scupper cart be better than cradle w/ straps?

I'm sorry I have so many questions but I am trying to limit surprises. Plus I may be a little over excited to be getting a yak!

Thanks!

Dan
Here's how I stored mine in my small-ish boston apartment.
I would do the same on that 8 foot wall you have, if its sturdy. The racks costs less than $10 to build. I used 1" Conduit, bent 90deg then a small 45* bend, with piping insultation, 2x masonary screws on each side.

I was able to hold myself up on each at 220lbs.

Hang it on the wall, and build a small over hang to give it shade, and put some small cabinets on it to store the small stuff like your PFD, it will cost a lot less than a shed. Also, when you have a shed, it can become a heat box, with tempatures actually hotter inside than what it is outside. Combine that with moisture from water left in the kayak and its just a sauna. With this rack, just randomly alternate the side you mount the kayak on to prevent long term pressure marks.

A scupper cart would be your best bet for quick and go. I hate strapping my cart down.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:14 PM   #3
Badtaste2k

Thanks Drake,

Hanging it on it's side is a better option for me for sure. I was going to have to completely block access to that side of the house with the shed (no loss there though). The wall is sturdy cedar block, or i could always hang it off the house wall. I was conerned with pressure issue on it's side outdoors. How often should I rotate? I plan on going out at least once every couple of weeks if not much much more as my wife and work dictates it

Thanks again,

Dan
Badtaste2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:19 PM   #4
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badtaste2k View Post
Thanks Drake,

Hanging it on it's side is a better option for me for sure. I was going to have to completely block access to that side of the house with the shed (no loss there though). The wall is sturdy cedar block, or i could always hang it off the house wall. I was conerned with pressure issue on it's side outdoors. How often should I rotate? I plan on going out at least once every couple of weeks if not much much more as my wife and work dictates it

Thanks again,

Dan
Rotating will depend on how it sits on the racks and which foam you choose to go with, if you spring for pool noodles, you probably wont ever need to rotate it. It takes a bit of heat and weight to form pressure dents, but they will come out eventually anyway. I wouldn't worry to much about it. It mostly comes from people who use ropes or straps to hold the weight of the kayak.