Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
seriola_killer
Sled Peddler

Take a gander at this piece of crap article

From today's L.A. Times:

Quote:
When Daniel W. Richards, the president of the California Fish and Game Commission, went to Idaho and shot a mountain lion, the dead carcass of which he held up gleefully for a photo, he triggered outraged calls for his resignation by California state legislators, Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom, Sierra Club California and the head of the Humane Society of the United States. Mountain lions are a protected species in California and have been off-limits to hunters for the last 20 years by virtue of a successful ballot measure. But it is legal to hunt them in Idaho.
While there's no question that Richards showed bad judgment by shooting the lion and flaunting his kill (as well as questionable taste if, as he suggests, he actually ate it), we don't believe his resignation is required for doing something that was perfectly legal where he did it.
What's of greater concern is that as a commissioner — and now as president of the commission — he has been an abysmal steward of wildlife and an obstructionist rather than a conservationist. That judgment is based not on his lion-hunting expedition but on his record. He has voted consistently against regional plans to implement the Marine Life Protection Act (which the commission approved anyway) and passionately opposed the commission's moves to broaden the ban on the use of nontoxic ammunition. That ban is designed to protect the endangered California condor, which, scientists say, can be lethally poisoned from eating the remains of animals shot with lead bullets. He voted against listing or considering several species of animals for protection, although the majority of the commission deemed them worthy.
Being a hunter does not mean necessarily being against conservation measures, as several conscientious hunters on the commission have demonstrated. Richards was appointed by former Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and will serve on the commission until his term expires in January 2013 unless the Legislature takes action to remove him.
The commission sets policies and regulations, implemented by the state's Department of Fish and Game, to manage resources in a way that protects wildlife while also providing recreational hunting opportunities. Those policies are expected to reflect not just the ebb and flow of animal populations but the wishes of the state's residents, less than 1% of whom hunt. The Richards brouhaha comes as the state is revamping the commission and the department to improve their effectiveness in "fulfilling their public trust responsibilities for protecting and managing the state's fish and wildlife."
Gov. Jerry Brown currently has opportunities to appoint (or reappoint) two commissioners. Whomever he chooses, hunters or not, they should be fervently committed to the conservation of California's wildlife.
seriola_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
tasteslikechikn54

Wow, what a piece of @#$%... Pretty lopsided and biased. Non toxic ammunition? Poisoned by eating an animal that's been shot? Sounds like a whole lotta bull. These people wanna eat Richards up and in a hurry. I'm glad that many people have stepped up and supported richards... I really hope that Richards stands his ground and does not give in to this crap...
tasteslikechikn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
GregAndrew

They say the most important thing in a commissioner is that they are conservationists, but that is not what the F&G department has ever been about. It is about managing the wildlife so that future generations can enjoy hunting and fishing as we do. Unfortunately, I fear that the reorganization that they are talking about of the F&G will steer it towards more and more closures in and out of the water. They will "protect" areas by making them bird watching only or photo hunting only reserves.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
T-Rex

Well, I posted a reply on their website telling them what I thought about their editorial and why I will be cancelling my subscription tomorrow morning. The sooner this piece of crap newspaper goes out of business the better.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

where's the richards support group link?
Old 03-02-2012, 07:40 AM   #6
blitzburgh

That article falls right in line with what the la times stands for. Do not be fooled, these wackos want him out because he had the audacity to go against their master plan (see mlpa). This is just an excuse for all of those wacko-liberals to jump on him at the same time. Unless they are ALL truly vegans they need to close their mouths.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:00 AM   #7
mtnbykr2