Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
Sdspeed

Tarpon 120 ?'s

Would this be a good entry level kayak? How are they for comfort etc.
Any insight would be appreciated.

tks.
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdspeed View Post
Would this be a good entry level kayak? How are they for comfort etc.
Any insight would be appreciated.

tks.
I'm not sure about the 120 but when I tested out the 140 I felt like I couldn't move or I would tip over. I have owned Cobra, Malibu, and Ocean Kayaks and love each of them, but will not own a Tarpon, far too tippy feeling for me.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

I just put a Bassyaks motor kit on one for a guy, he is a float tuber buying his first kayak. Good choice for him, about my size 160 and 5'9". I would feel comfortable taking this model any where there is water.

The seats have always been really big selling points on the Tarpons but the new 2013 seats are really nice and comfortable.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
tacklebox
I got gas!

I own a tarpon 140 and I love it. Im about 240-250lbs and dont really feel like I would ever tip it over.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
captnblood34

WS 120

I have a new model. I've got nothing to compare really, but it cuts through the water great, I load it in my pickup easily, adjustable foot peddles, nice area to mount your FF, and comes with "slidetrax". Slidetrax gives you options for accessories that won't require you to chop shop your yak. Plus you actually paddle it with your HANDS....pun
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
PAL

T120s are nice boats that paddle better than most. The curved sides of the hull (the chine) actually make the boat more stable in sloppy water than the typical flat-bottomed barge. I took my old-school T120 down the twisty Owens River with Andy just a few weeks ago. Handled it like a champ.

However, if you are going to be travelling long distances, you might be more comfortable in a longer 13 or 14 ft kayak - they cruise with less effort. The other consideration is weight capacity. The T120 is rated for 350.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
JeffB

I have a 120 and love it. It's perfect for my wife as well. It's real stable for a small kayak. Only downer to it is, it's more equipt for the bay than LJ. Mine doesn't do all that great in the surf, I preferred my prowler or Revo over it for that.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #8
Amish Ed

I had a 140 and pretty much loved it. Like Pal said, I'd try out the 140. It's faster and tracks better. BTW, the 140 never felt tippy to me. I tried an older 160 once, now that was tippy.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:09 PM   #9
Sdspeed

Thanks for the education, I'm restricted in length by storage and to a minor extent the transportation too. So a 13 ft. is the max for me currently.
Like alot of us I have a budget as well knowing i'm opening up pandora's box of a wish list once I finally decide on the kayak. I missed out on the Ride 135 and the T120 OEX had in their demo fleet recently so I thought I'd ask a few more questions. Thanks for coming through again.

Iceman, Thanks for taking time to snap the pic for me, I've never been up to the sunset store!
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote