Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #1
fehays
Junior

Protected areas in La Jolla

Greetings,

I'm currently looking to by my first kayak and give this a go. I've been looking around for a map of the La Jolla kelp beds to find out which areas you are not allowed to fish.

Is there a good resource online that will show what areas you are not allowed to be as well as where some good fishing is?

Thanks in advance!
fehays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

GOOD question!

The reserve is kinda confusing in North La Jolla. The marine protected area in LJ USED to be marked by the yellow buoys which extend north from the Cove towards the pier.

The "OLD" reserve was extended and includes areas west of the yellow buoys...... This "new" reserve extends several hundred yards outside of the yellow buoys. Basically you need to be west of the line that extends due north of Alligator Point which is in between the Cove and Boomers beach.....

There are a few APPs that are really helpful.... "Fish alerts" for the iphone is great.... I used it yesterday and it was obvious that YESTERDAY they were SEVERAL kayakers fishing INSIDE the reserve at North La Jolla..... albeit I'm sure they were unaware of it.

There are also maps online with GPS coordinates that are useful....

Know the rules and where you're fishing..... I would hate for you guys to get a ticket!

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
GregAndrew

Also, the Reserve line on the North end has moved to about the Pier from the old buoy line. From the Pier North you have the Conservation Area where fin bait catching is permitted. The line on the West side of both the Reserve and the Conservation Area extend directly North from the point mentioned by Owyn.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by fehays View Post
Greetings,

I'm currently looking to by my first kayak and give this a go. I've been looking around for a map of the La Jolla kelp beds to find out which areas you are not allowed to fish.

Is there a good resource online that will show what areas you are not allowed to be as well as where some good fishing is?

Thanks in advance!
Here's a link to the DFG
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/mpa/scmpas_list.asp

I logged everything South of the Scripps Pier in my GPS.

Do not use the Yellow markers that are out there right now, those marked the old protected area and have not been moved.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
Baja_Traveler

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=18068
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
maui jim

Just look for the Posted Signs attached to the barbwire fence around the perimiter.....
Old 05-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
HiLife619

If you have an Iphone you can download this app called FishAlerts! Some people were promoting this during the Fred Hall Show and it shows the MPA on your phone and also shows where you are at. I usually get reception from Sprint 2-3 miles out or at least at 130ft of water where people fish for rock...This app also shows all of the MPA in California and Hawaii too...its a cool little app...plus its free too...
HiLife619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
jorluivil

I use the MPA Mobile website that is available through the DFG. Make sure the GPS on your phone is on and don't forget to turn off your GPS once you've located and or passed the imaginary line. I usually try to go a hundred yards or more past it, better safe than sorry.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #9
fehays
Junior

Thanks for the info! Found this pdf helpful from the links shared:
https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...95&inline=true
fehays is offline   Reply With Quote