Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
taggermike

Quiet LJ 5/13

Hit LJ at around 7:00 am yesterday to see small surf and no one on the beach. There was lots of birds and small dogs passed the reserve buoy but I had trouble making bait. Ended up with 1 green, 3 browns, and a smelt and headed around the corner. The current was headed straight out to sea. Bad sign. Seeing smelt 100 yards out from the kelp line just lazily milling around. Not good either. Slow trolled the macks, yo-yo-ed a bit, and tossed plastics in the kelp for nothing. On the way in there was a pod of dolphins destroying a school of dines, thousands of scales drifting down when they passed. Great day to be out.

I was curious about this sight as I crossed in to the reserve. Last year I got chased down by a LG on a jet ski and warned for sailing my adventure island through there. I guess rules are for "little people".
Mike
Attached Images

taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
Baja_Traveler

It is possible that they had a pre-arrainged deal where a private boat brought in divers doing permitted research (with a valid research permit that the lifeguards already have a copy of).
We've done it in the past for the S.D Oceans Foundation back when I was president - the boat owner gets a writeoff for the use of the boat for the day. Seeing it mid week even more leads me to believe that is the case, as it wouldnt be allowed on a weekend even with a permit...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
TCS

The no boat area has two rows of bouys running out from the cove to about halfway to the launch. You can go around it to get on the other side where that boat is.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
Dannowar

Been making a ton of bait just before the kelp starts in a bout 65-70 feet of water. Even at night with no chum, lights etc. look for a little pile and you should see some decent schools all around it. Been making bait there for a couple weeks now.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #5
"jjcawjj"

LOL!!!! What makes that Boat so Special!!! Must know somebuddy!!!
"jjcawjj" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #6
bigbarrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
Been making a ton of bait just before the kelp starts in a bout 65-70 feet of water. Even at night with no chum, lights etc. look for a little pile and you should see some decent schools all around it. Been making bait there for a couple weeks now.

very cool