Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
Irishcamel
Junior

Hello Everyone

Me and a buddy picked up our kayaks at the last Malibu event and are happy to be a part of the forum.
1. We are going to hit Dana Sunday morning if anyone would like to join and show some newbs a few pointers.
2. What is a decent entry level fish finder for DP and La Jolla, fishing and lobsters. Is there a feature a should be looking for? Or could an IPhone app work instead?

Thanks,
Michael
Irishcamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
MrM

Welcome!

Good luck a DP. It's a great place to fish. A tad underrated in my book.

Get what you can afford for the fish finder. With that said, if you can afford spending $800 on a fish finder, it wont do you any good if you can't understand what you're seeing. Whatever you end up getting, I would recommend getting something with GPS.

Humminbird makes a quality FF at a decent price. I'm not saying it's the best brand out there by any means, though. Lowrance is another big name. Shop around. Everyone has their personal favorites, so you're going to get a lot of varying responses from people. Do your homework, there's a lot of the "is this FF good?" threads in here. Youtube has some good videos that demo units for you, too.

Good luck, and leash your rods.