Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2014, 05:15 PM   #1
BigIrish1978
Junior

La Jolla shores 6/14

Looking at first time launch from the Shores. Any suggestions or tips. Hoping to get some open water hookups.
BigIrish1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:22 PM   #2
YakDout
Brandon

Time the sets, watch the intervals, paddle/pedal hard, make sure scupper plugs are out. Don't try anything larger than 2.5-3 feet for your first time. Leash EVERYTHING. Bring a mechanical bilge pump. Catch fishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:33 PM   #3
BigIrish1978
Junior

Thanks YakDout, BEST reply I have ever had. Does kayak length matter, for ease of surf launch?
BigIrish1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:58 PM   #4
YakDout
Brandon

Your stability comes from length and width. The greater dimensions, the greater the stability, however at the same time bigger dimensions = more weight to flip back over hypothetically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:13 PM   #5
5-20

I'd go with an empty yak and just practice paddling through the surf before trying it loaded down with everything, and it'd be a good idea to also get a feel for how you'll be able to get back into the yak if you flip.
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #6
taggermike

Use the search function and you'll find loads of info on LJ. That's good advice from YakDout about the surf launch. I'll add, stay perpendicular to the waves. Kayak stability doesn't matter much if you get side on to the surf. Also, don't mess around in the surf zone. Get your shit together and go hard. The shorter time you're in the surf zone the less time there is for some thing to go wrong. Landing requires much more skill, timing, and finesse than launching. Way to much to list here. Good luck, and again, least every thing. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:39 PM   #7
Cbad Mike

Read everything on here and get so stoked that you won't sleep the night before.
Drive to LJ.
Unload and set up.
Introduce yourself to whoever is there.
Double check that you have everything.
Watch the surf.
AND GO!
Do not stop paddling even if you take a wave to the face until your past the surf zone.

It's easy.

Good luck.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:44 PM   #8
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-20 View Post
I'd go with an empty yak and just practice paddling through the surf before trying it loaded down with everything, and it'd be a good idea to also get a feel for how you'll be able to get back into the yak if you flip.
I disagree completely! Load kayak to capacity, attempt launch wholeheartedly, upload GoPro footage here for "helpful criticism."
If you're not a fan of that idea then I'm also on board with practicing empty just to get a feel for it and to minimize potential losses.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:03 PM   #9
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

It's the landing you should be worried about. The launch not so much.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:21 PM   #10
Cbad Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildernessWanker View Post
I disagree completely! Load kayak to capacity, attempt launch wholeheartedly, upload GoPro footage here for "helpful criticism."
If you're not a fan of that idea then I'm also on board with practicing empty just to get a feel for it and to minimize potential losses.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
I agree with loading your gear, you have to do it some time why not the first. Also if you go with nothing I guarantee that you will get out through the surf and kick yourself for not being able to fish......

Don't worry about it. If you go on a day with 1-2 ft swells you will be totally fine. Watch videos on YouTube on how to come back in. It's a little trickier but part of the fun.