Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2014, 06:39 AM   #1
army guy

VHF Radio

Any recommendations for a reliable waterproof VHF radio at a decent price? Make Model Cost?
army guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:09 AM   #2
alfsteur

I found good deals on Amazon for Uniden MHS75, bought 2. Solid build, small enough to fit in pockets, battery lasts forever. Only drawback is it doesn't float, so I clip it to my pfd.
alfsteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:51 AM   #3
army guy

Got it alfsteur. thanks for the tip. I'll look right now.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:51 AM   #4
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfsteur View Post
I found good deals on Amazon for Uniden MHS75, bought 2. Solid build, small enough to fit in pockets, battery lasts forever. Only drawback is it doesn't float, so I clip it to my pfd.
I have this model and they work great. It doesn't float but if it's clipped to you PDF what does it matter. I found mine on E-Bay last year brand new for $76 but there are no such deals right now on Amazon the best was $89 and free shipping. That is still a good low price because of the power it has and other features like being able to monitor up to 3 channels.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:59 PM   #5
army guy

Thanks Fish 11, you guys have convinced me Uniden MHS-75 is the way to go.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:24 PM   #6
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

If you can wait till the 22nd this one will be on sale $60 off http://www.westmarine.com/handheld-v...adio--14078562
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:56 PM   #7
momo fish

Floating, glow in dark, 6W, and a few other neat features. Been waiting for this to go on sale and will be picking it up to replace a lost one. Warranty also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
If you can wait till the 22nd this one will be on sale $60 off http://www.westmarine.com/handheld-v...adio--14078562
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:43 PM   #8
IN2DEEP

Quote:
Thats's a good deal for $99!
I like mine
Paid $139 and got the warranty
Old 06-18-2014, 06:54 PM   #9
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Yea it's a good deal. They will also have the Elite-5 Gold HDI on sale for $100 off on the 21st. Should be around $470 with the transducer. I might have to grab one finally at that price.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:39 PM   #10
momo fish

VHF Radio

I'm a bit torn about the elite deal. Its on sale cause the CHIRP units are out and the price difference is $100. Yeah the one on sale has navionics card but when I had it on prior unit I didn't find it useful. Decisions decisions

Last edited by momo fish; 06-19-2014 at 07:39 AM.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:14 PM   #11
EDC

I'm just going to put in my 2 cents, and start off by saying that I don't have experience with either model mentioned so far. The first thing I would like to mention is that when I got serious about getting a VHF, I looked at a lot of reviews. The West Marine reviews I saw AT THE TIME were not so good. Mainly the range was pretty short. One guy said he could literally see the coast guard, but couldn't get ahold of them with the West Marine. Had to resort to using his cell phone and didn't get contact with anyone on his radio even line of sight until about one mile away (set on 5 watts). Like I said, I don't have personal experience with the unit, but that didn't settle well with me.

Secondly, when I was at the Fred Hall show, I came across Jim Sammons. I just moved back to California and was waiting for my kayak to get here. I told him I couldn't wait to get out in the SoCal waters but I need to A. get my kayak shipped, and B. get a good VHF radio before going more than a couple miles out. On his show he has always promoted the HX851 by Standard Horizon, so I thought he would try to sell me on that. Nope, he said, "well do you have a cell phone and a GPS? You don't really need a VHF in these waters unless you are going really far out." That blew my mind. Not even one bit of sales pitch. But, as it stands, I felt much better about going anywhere within 3 or 4 miles offshore without a radio. I take my phone (waterproofed and fully charged), an extra paddle and will always watch the weather, and one day when I have a couple hundred to spend on whatever, I might get the HX851, but as of now, I'm not worried. Those words might come and bite me in the butt one day, but I also believe that if it's your time to go...well, you know the rest.

I will end with saying that you should not skimp on your personal safety. A cheap radio is not something I would want to have my life depending on. I am an active Marine and I can attest to how important a good working radio can be. If you are serious about getting a VHF radio, I would not look for what the best priced radio is, I would find the absolute best radio on the market, and do what had to be done to get that one. Just don't go to the local loan sharks. They are worse than the whites and makos.
EDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:21 AM   #12
RookieYakker

Quote:
If you can wait till the 22nd this one will be on sale $60 off
I followed the link, but don't see the deal. I'm thinking that you found out through the mailing list, but if not, how can I find out about these types of deals? Thanks!
RookieYakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:01 AM   #13
momo fish

Radio on sale is rated high by many users on different company sites. I have read other forums and many kayakers also recommended this model.

Yes for the most part you should be able to get service but there are other neg/pos. For me I would worry to much about dropping my phone especially without a floating case which runs from $40 and up. Losing a $650 phone verses losing a $100 radio. Having a one button emergency contact to coast guard verses finding the phone, calling 911 all while I assume the conditions are bad is not ideal or safe. Having the ability to contact other nearby boats is also a plus you would not be able to do with a phone in an emergency. For $100 for my safety it's worth it for me. Coast guard and others all recommend having a VHF radio. Pretty interesting that a guy like Jim would say otherwise regardless if your only a mile out.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:07 AM   #14
momo fish

New price won't show until day of sale. Sign up for west marine email list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieYakker View Post
I followed the link, but don't see the deal. I'm thinking that you found out through the mailing list, but if not, how can I find out about these types of deals? Thanks!
Old 06-20-2014, 09:00 AM   #15
EDC

Yes it's true that it's nice to have a radio and to listen to the NOAA channels and to be able to get in touch with other boats, and a one touch distress signal is pretty cool. I don't want to start an argument and believe that radios are important. I would get a Standard Horizon if I got a gift certificate or a bonus and didn't have to spend the money I would otherwise be spending on other fishing gear. But my phone does float, I get inclement weather alerts through running apps, I can listen to the NOAA channels through a phone call, I don't really want to talk to the boats (but talking to other kayakers would be nice), and if the conditions look nasty I just won't be going out. I just don't trust the West Marine brand and that may just be me. I don't have experience with this radio, but I have had other West Marine electronics that were absolute junk in the past and did not do close to what they were supposed to (faulty wiring, waterproof items not even being water resistant in reality, sloppy tolerance, cheap components,and other small compaints), so maybe I'm just biased. I like the store, and customer service is great, but I don't think their quality is there. If I were buying something important, I would want it to be from a company that specializes in that kind of product, not one who dabbles here and there in a bunch of different types of products. If this one turns out to be a good one and other people are having great results with it, then maybe I am just outdated and should maybe give them another shot (maybe I got the only lemons). But that won't be for a very long time and I would need a lot of convincing to buy that brand again.

With Mr. Sammons, he seemed pretty comfortable about these SoCal waters when I spoke with him. Remember that he has travelled the world in some pretty nasty stuff way way further from safety than the kelp beds or canyons and other normal SoCal spots. Maybe in his experience he has just been through so much crazy kayak fishing that nothing phases him anymore. On his shows though you will see him always wearing a PFD and his VHF even in a small freshwater pond.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:14 AM   #16
Dannowar

So you're saying I should just use my cell phone?
Old 06-20-2014, 09:39 AM   #17
EDC

All I'm saying is that I am now comfortable with just my cell phone for as far as I go out, and because my phone gives me what I would want from a VHF. I am also stating that if you have the extra money and will feel more comfortable on the water with a VHF, then you should get one. Good comm is always overlooked until you need it the most. Finally I am saying that based off of my experience along with some negative reviews I have read in the past, if I were to buy a VHF, or anything that I was putting my life on, I wouldn't buy West Marine. But again, this is just my opinion and can easily be wrong. Go with what makes you feel comfortable, and go with something you can rely on. That for me just happens to be my phone. But whatever you do, don't buy a lifeline just because is costs less. If the radio is actually as good as others say, then it could be a great deal. Good radio for cheap. But if it is cheap and won't pull you out of a jam when you need it, your last thoughts may just be about why you had to save a couple pennies instead of buying the better option. Kind of contradicting myself a little huh? No easy answer for most. But for me, I will try to buy quality products that will last forever instead of the bargain any day. I've learned that lesson the hard way.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:12 PM   #18
Socalkayak
Junior

I as well use my phone. Lifeproof makes a nice case and a bouy case that alows it to float. There cases are awsome because they allow you to take underwater super clear videos. I also run my navionics off my phone. The draw backs. Constant navionics blows through battery. Solution spare phone battery. The navionics app is awsome. Its way easier to use on phone because I already know how to use my phone. Now if they can make an app that would allow you to talk to other yakers that would be cool but like they say there is probably an app for that. Vhf phone app anyone.
Socalkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #19
jorluivil

Don't be cheap, get the radio and while you're at it get a radio that has a speaker/mic connection.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:17 PM   #20
Cbad Mike

I have a Standard Horizon. It's works well and floats with a blinking light.
In the last year that I've had it, it hasn't had to float and I haven't had to use it to call for help But I get a little piece of mind knowing that it will do both especially when I'm bobbing around LJ alone in the middle of the night.
My advice.....
Get one.
Get one from West Marine and buy their great warranty.
Get one and feel more comfortable on the water.
Get one to talk sh#t to your friends.
Get one that is small and compact.