Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2015, 01:30 PM   #1
Caseym

Hobie Outback set-up question....s

So I've joined the peddling community and have ditched the paddle....well not entirely. So I'm wondering from you more experienced anglers, Do I need a paddle leash anymore? Seems like overkill since I don't have it connected going in or out of the Surfline, which is really the only time I'm planning on using it. Otherwise she's just going to be attached to the side....any help/ideas for this new game are appreciated. Beyond stoked just to try this thing out!!
Thanks,
Casey
Caseym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:01 PM   #2
octico

I have a leash on mine. I take mine out before launching and landing in the surf. A leash is alot cheaper than buying a Mirage drive.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:04 PM   #3
ful-rac
Emperor

I would keep the leash if I were you. Consider it cheap insurance.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:14 PM   #4
YakDout
Brandon

I believe Casey is asking about leashing his paddle, not his mirage.

To answer your question Casey, if you have trust in the elastic that holds your paddle to the side, I wouldn't worry about the leash on the paddle. Especially since you only need it when in the surf. But if you fall off just make sure you hang on to it. Now the mirage drive, no exceptions on that leash. $10 could save you $500. You're gonna love you're new ride. I guarantee it. (Men's warehouse)
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:59 PM   #5
Caseym

Thank You Brandon! Didnt even think about leasing the mirage drive. I was just going to tuck it under the bungees in the rear but now I think I know just what to do with that old paddle leash. Its going on the paddle when IT'S stowed, and the Mirage drive when IT'S stowed! Man you guys are a great help thanks!!
Old 03-11-2015, 03:07 PM   #6
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseym View Post
Thank You Brandon! Didnt even think about leasing the mirage drive. I was just going to tuck it under the bungees in the rear but now I think I know just what to do with that old paddle leash. Its going on the paddle when IT'S stowed, and the Mirage drive when IT'S stowed! Man you guys are a great help thanks!!

Silly Rabbit! Why would you have one leash when you can own two custom leashes?

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=24668

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:09 PM   #7
octico

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post

LOL ... you beat me too it!
Old 03-11-2015, 03:10 PM   #8
tsugg
LOWSPARK

too funny

Jorge, let the vw go already.LOL

Quote:

tsugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:19 PM   #9
momo fish

That made my day Jorge !!! Almost tearing up laughing!

Quote:

momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:23 PM   #10
momo fish

I would leash everything.. For the paddle you want to leash it heading out so you don't lose it or it slips on the way out and needing to turn around.. On the way in, I would not leash it as you are more prone to flipping and getting tangled up.. Plus it will just wash ashore anyhow...

For the mirage drive, have really good leashes and have it secured well and not to the other bungees cords in the back.. Many guys lose it during launch and landing and they are not easy to find... Not worth a losing 600 part!

Unless you want to be another example I leash everything Including my bait and pee cup...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseym View Post
So I've joined the peddling community and have ditched the paddle....well not entirely. So I'm wondering from you more experienced anglers, Do I need a paddle leash anymore? Seems like overkill since I don't have it connected going in or out of the Surfline, which is really the only time I'm planning on using it. Otherwise she's just going to be attached to the side....any help/ideas for this new game are appreciated. Beyond stoked just to try this thing out!!

Thanks,

Casey
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:16 PM   #11
Caseym

All good...even the humorous bungee thread! Classic. Whoever asked the instruction sheet/warranty question deserves a Sculpin IPA!! Thanks for the heads up too regarding leashing the world. I just drilled out the cap on my chapstick....no its not cherry flavored.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:29 PM   #12
TJones

Where was I ?

I must have taken a day off and missed this one .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (72.7 KB, 122 views)
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:44 PM   #13
Caseym

OK, now another one. So I get that we leash our poles, but nobody seems to be fighting any fish with their leashes on in all the vids Ive seen. So do you leash until "HookUp" or only when launching/landing and when not in use.
Also, if I ever actually land one of these YT's, where do I put it? Inside the hull? Lashed to the bow? Stern?
Thanks again,
-Sometimes stupid
Old 03-11-2015, 07:48 PM   #14
octico

I leash all the way through hookup and landing. As far as leashes go, I go to the Dollar tree store and buy dog leashes. They are about 4 feet long, and work great. Don't over complicate things, just strap down what is most financially important to you.
Tight Lines
-- John
Old 03-11-2015, 08:15 PM   #15
Caseym

John,
Word.
Casey
Old 03-12-2015, 06:27 AM   #16
TJones

Confidence

Is a major part if it . Knowing your kayak and what you are capable on it . Nothing will replace time on the water . Entering and exiting through surf always has risks even for the guys who have been surfing 20 years and kayaking 12 years . These are the guys who don't use leases anymore by choice . The odds of the them loosing a reel are minimal . There are also the unforeseen circumstances like a whale breaching under you , or a dog ( seal ) grabbing your catch off the back of the kayak and rolling you . There is the possibility of having forgotten to back the drag back off after rinsing the reel the day prior , now you have a reel in the rod holder that is not going to give an inch . Guess what will happen when you hook a big black ? . Anything could happen in the real world , what if you rolled the yak after hooking a 30 lb yellow partly due to wind swell ? You now have a yellow pulling your leashed rod and kayak away from you . With you no longer onboard , he is like a runaway freight train . This sport is not for the faint of heart . . Heck I have watched an angler juggle rod and reel in hand only to drop it in drink . Probably his go to setup. Maybe he had Mack slime all over his hands? The confidence thing comes with time on the water , which nothing can replace . Hope this sheds some light . Trust me, all or most of the things mentioned above have happened at least once or came very close to happening . Tight lines.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote