Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2015, 06:59 PM   #1
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

NW Corner

.... is SOUTH of the point. If you launch from La Jolla shores, think of it as the SW Corner for the easy kayak kelp bed zone and you'll be OK.

Thought I'd mention this just in case there are other newbs figuring these things out. Don't paddle out and look for it NW of the kelp beds.

NW Corner is straight out from the Children's Pool. NW of what, I don't know. Mission Bay? San Diego?

Another Public Service Announcement from Mr. DumbGuy.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:09 PM   #2
Zed
BANNED

NW corner OF La Jolla kelp.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:44 PM   #3
yemff

that definitely made it more clear
yemff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:44 PM   #4
the dude

32 50.630 x 117 18.460 Northwest Corner
Old 08-18-2015, 08:21 PM   #5
Zed
BANNED

"Awww, come on guys, it's so simple maybe you need a refresher course. It's all ball bearings nowadays."
Old 08-19-2015, 01:46 AM   #6
TJones

That might explain why

I kept ending up in monkey land . . Learn something new everyday . Thanks .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:11 AM   #7
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Learn it, live it, love it ... (I'm projecting, of course, as I plot my preliminary noob routes to explore)

Paddling from La Jolla Shores counter-clockwise around the outside of the kelp beds toward the south:

La Jolla Shores
La Jolla Canyon
The Cove
The Bump
The Half
3/4 Spot
NW Corner
The 10

How do I get to Monkeyland?

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 08-19-2015 at 05:25 AM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:36 AM   #8
spicolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
Learn it, live it, love it ... (I'm projecting, of course, as I plot my preliminary noob routes to explore)

Paddling from La Jolla Shores counter-clockwise around the outside of the kelp beds toward the south:

La Jolla Shores
La Jolla Canyon
The Cove
The Bump
The Half
3/4 Spot
NW Corner
The 10

How do I get to Monkeyland?
It'd be kinda cool if you printed out an image, maybe from google maps/earth, and could attach these labels...then post it.

I hear Monkeyland goes off in the winter
spicolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:47 AM   #9
FARRIER

If you head out bang a left and put in the time and the miles you will be rewarded.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:00 PM   #10
Iceman
Administrator

I will confess to some misguided assumptions I made some 20ish years ago that I still chuckle about.

North West Corner........I thought this referred to that buoy on the north west corner of the reserve.

The 1/2............I thought this was that "safe" zone that kept you from getting kelped 1/2 way between the kelp and the canyon.

What a Goober.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:50 PM   #11
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Iceman, I understand. That's why I try not to guess about these things, and try to dig a little deeper to find confirmations. My approach to teaching myself how to fish various species in various areas is to try to be scientific and logical about it.

By the process of elimination I have a wealth of information of things NOT to do, LOL.

I don't mind at all. All experience is good experience and the fish I don't catch live to see another day.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 08-19-2015 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:59 PM   #12
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicolly View Post
It'd be kinda cool if you printed out an image, maybe from google maps/earth, and could attach these labels...then post it.

I hear Monkeyland goes off in the winter
This is a portion of a map available at Dana Landing. They look like laminated place mats for your dinner table, and they are hanging on hooks behind the sandwich concession for about $15. Lots of other good information on these maps.

My fish finder is a POS, so I use an app on my iphone as my GPS and chart plotter. It's called Navionics Boating. It tracks where I go and gives a summary of the speed, time, etc. Other views allow us to plot out our plan in advance and follow vectors to precisely the way points where we want to go. Government maps on the Navionics iphone app work good for free. For a small additional charge, you can get sonar depth maps that give us entirely different food for thought. There is other useful information on the Navionics Boating app.

If you use your smart phone, make sure you have a good waterproof cover. This one is cheap on Amazon and works for me:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00

When I'm back home thinking over a fragrant glass of dry, full-bodied red wine, I make a screen shot of my fishing route for the day from the Navionics Boating App and overlay it on this map in Photoshop to see what territory I am covering and what I want to try to do on my next trip to try to improve. I zoom in on just my route and add my own notes, observations, visual reference points that I see with my own eyes for future dead reckoning, easy bait, places to explore next, etc., etc., etc. I snap visual notes with my Fuji XP80 waterproof sports camera that is always handy in the breast pocket of my PFD.

When people talk about fishing "west of the pier, outside the protected zone" ... I'm wondering if that means La Jolla Canyon Shelf, still on the south side of the canyon? When this yellowtail and tuna frenzy calms down, I'm still wanting to find where the local monster size halibut hang out. The sandy flats off Black's Beach seem to be off limits now, except for bait fish.

Monkeyland must be somewhere over the horizon.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 08-19-2015 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:58 PM   #13
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by FARRIER View Post
If you head out bang a left and put in the time and the miles you will be rewarded.
I'm working on it. I've been putting in about 10 statute miles "per morning" and I'm meeting lots of nice people out there.

It's a good community of kindred spirits.

** "per morning" means that I'm developing a bad habit of not exactly getting back to work when I go out to play hooky for a few hours. Today's "morning" started at 4am and I loaded my kayak back in my van to go home at 3pm.

However, I was able to squeeze in El Cajon Cruise Night before the sun went down

Too many hobbies, too little time.