Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2009, 02:15 PM   #1
TCS

Full Moon Fishing Good or Bad?

Every time I've gone fishing after a full moon there was no one out and I got skunked. These last few days there have been people out and a few fish caught and the full moon is tonight. So what are your thoughts on fishing the next couple of days? Good or Bad?

Thanks, Tom
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
Dan

I don't fish around the moon, tides or atmospheric pressure. I've seen WFO full moon bites.

It's more of a when and what they're eating AND finding where they're at.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
Gino

Full moon is good for certain species, ones that feet mostly at night. Basses, definately love the nighttime full moon increasing visability and make it easier to find food.

I read in an article a while back that 90% of world record fish, have been caught within 2-3 days before durign and after a full moon. Not sure if thats true or not. wish i could find that article.

Moon phases i think generally effect fishing, species by species.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:20 PM   #4
1Flatfish
Wayne

Full Moon

Years ago, me and a friend used to look for the highest tide and the fullest moon and meet at the Carlsbad cliffs at 10pm for some late night fishing. We caught calico, sand bass, sargo, perch, shark, rays, bonito, you name it. The full moon had them feeding as long as long as it was bright. I wonder why more people don't fish AT NIGHT during a full moon. Maybe they do. I would love to fish La Jolla some night during a full moon if someone would go with me.

I have caught fish the day after a clear night full moon. But I will also say that the only times I have been completely skunked was the day after. One time me and the Johnson brothers didn't get a single bite all day after a full moon. That's three people who came home with the smell...and the Johnson brothers can fish! But I' sure that fish were being caught somewhere by people who knew what they were doing.

La Jolla full moon night fishing caravan! Who's in?

Wayne
1Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:25 AM   #5
'Cuda

The panga captains that I pump for info in Baja always tell me "pesca la luna jena en la noche for corvina grandes, cabrone" and I always tell them "estoy muy borracho en la noche, cabrones". I do remember a BWE poster a few years ago having success with the full moon WSB at La Jolla.

Last edited by 'Cuda; 11-03-2009 at 01:51 AM.
'Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:00 AM   #6
rogersmith

back east striped bass generally did not bite in tight to shore during a full moon. Many fisherman avoided it, although technically the high tides around the full work toward moving bait fish and keying in feeding for predators
rogersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #7
TCS

The Bonies Were Biting

The Bonito don't seem to mind the moon. I hooked up three this morning on greenbacks. Also caught one nice Rockfish, which I sent back down to his lair.

It was super foggy this morning. I paddled out at six into pea soup and headed for the pier. I didn't even see the pier till it was almost on top of me. The fog cleared by 7:30 and it turned into another super nice morning.

Got home late morning to resume the job search.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote