Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2010, 02:34 PM   #1
tptrench

battery ?

I' m using a 12 volt 12 amp battery to run my bait tank. Over the past 10 years I have always waited until the day before fishing to charge the thing and have never run out of juice, fishing for up to 7 hours. I recently was told to charge it up immediately after use because of some memory deal. What are your theories? Thanks for any input!
tptrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
Jimmyz123

I too have been told to do that with all batteries. I too have been able to just charge a battery prior to use and not have any issues. I'm open minded however and I too would like to know if this is important to do and why.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
wiseguy

use a float charger. this will keep them ready for whenever you need them. Just plug them up after every use. They way it works is, the charger turns on when the battery needs charging, it maintains it. Just like the ones used for RV's or boats when they are in storage for long periods of time.
wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:19 PM   #4
Aaron

wiseguy, any chance you can post a link to the one you use?
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:22 PM   #5
wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapdawg711 View Post
wiseguy, any chance you can post a link to the one you use?

http://kayakfishinggear.com/batterycharger-6volt.aspx
wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:20 PM   #6
Regor
Greg

Here's some interesting battery stats from my last time out. I checked my batteries when I got back after 9 hours on the water.

12V FF battery still had 12.5 left
6V bait battery still had 6.15 left.

Pretty amazing after 9 hours of use!
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:56 PM   #7
sasha

If you are using the lead acid battery you do need to keep it charged up or you shorten its life. The reason for that is when the battery dischages the lead plates absorb the acid in the water. If you keep the battery discharged the acid would start to eat the plates causing the battery life to shorten.. When you charge up the battery the plates expale the acid back in the water so the plates last longer. That is a very short and more of a simplifed explantion. A good lead acid battery fully charged would have about 12.65V under no load. If it drops to below 12.25v you need to recharge it. I got a note where is states the battery charge at diffrent voltages. Need to find it if you guys want to know more about the state of charge before you go. It also works for gel battery like Optima. Gel battery takes a charge faster and it lasts longer. Sealed battery should not be charged fast or put under heavy loads as it cant vent like regular car battery. To prevent them from over heating and exploding they have an additive to slow down the rate of charge or discharge. Too many years dealing with car batteries...

Sasha
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote