Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Buy, Sell, or Trade Kayak Fishing Gear

Old 08-02-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
1Flatfish
Wayne

Build your own 17' wooden boat

I have been working this 17' V-bottom Carolina Dory until I recently lost my job. We now are trying to sell our house and find a much smaller place. Long story short, I will no longer have the space or the money to finish this boat. So I offer it as is with the plans and many supplies and some special tools for $300.00. The rib assemblies are all but done. You take it from here. It is meant to be an all wood boat with a fiberglass outer shell. Kayak fishermen are the most clever. This would be easy for any of you. If you are interested, shoot me a private message with your phone number and we'll talk.

Wayne

1Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
Fiskadoro

Double post...
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
Fiskadoro

Hey Wayne sorry to hear about your troubles.

A few questions... who's the designer, what are the ribs you have built made from, do you have the ply for the hull and what other materials do you have epoxies foam etc...

Fun to build in wood..

Been a while but I think I still know how to do it...

Jim
Old 08-02-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
1Flatfish
Wayne

Build your own boat

The designer is Spira International out of Huntington Beach. The name of the boat is "Kachemak". Real simple design. The wood is simple kiln dried 2 x 4 and 2 x 3 with thin maple ply to strengthen the joints. The ribs are built stronger than the plans. I have enough marine grade ply for the transom only. It is the highest grade. I have two part epoxy for the joints but not enough for the fiberglass. I also have a draw knife for fairing that I can include. Oh yeah, I also have a safety kit that includes a safety suit, eye protection, gloves and respirator for you get serious about glassing the hull, and a finger joint router bit that I was planning to use to edge join the hull plywood. All yours for the price.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:06 PM   #5
1Flatfish
Wayne

Nice work

By the way, I forgot to mention, nice work on the wooden kayak. I have seen other things you have built. You are very talented.

Wayne
Old 08-02-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Jim, I agree with Wayne, that kayak is too pretty to ever touch the water. It needs to sit in the lobby of some fancy beach front hotel. You are a master craftsman.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:41 PM   #7
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Flatfish View Post
The designer is Spira International out of Huntington Beach.
I thought it might be a 17' Kachemak.

I would love to get it but I have too many things to build right now, including two kayaks and a 21 pilot house that are in progress.

I can share some info on the skiff. The 17' Kachemak is a great little boat that is designed to be easy to build with standard materials you can buy from a lumber yard.

19' version of the same boat.

You build it from wood, coat it with epoxy and glass the outside with fibreglass. Basi8cally if you have basic carpentry skills and can put on a coat of paint you can build this boat.

Here's the free version of the plans so you can get an idea of how easy it is to build.

http://www.spirainternational.com/st...hemakStudy.pdf

He's already got the real plans with detailed drawings and dimensions ($70 online), and he's already built the hard stuff the frames.

Basically all someone has to do is buy the 5/8 ply cut it out to the dimensions laid out in the plans, attach it to the frames and this boat will be 90% done.

Carolina skiff are very seaworthy boats. I have a friend Brad that routinely takes his 19 foot Caolina skiff out to the Cortez bank, as well as to all the local islands.

This one has a V bottom added to keep it from pounding, it would be a great first boat building project and a fun skiff to fish locally.

I can't get it, but I'd say it's a great deal and it should be a great project for whoever does take it.

Jim
Old 08-03-2010, 02:32 PM   #8
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
Jim, I agree with Wayne, that kayak is too pretty to ever touch the water. It needs to sit in the lobby of some fancy beach front hotel.

Thanks for the comments Bob but your too late..

It may be fancy looking but it actually fishes pretty well.

You know the funny thing is when I designed and built her I'd never been in a kayak. Initially I was just happy I could sit in it without falling over...

It's kind of a hybrid as it's my own design, but it's essentially a sit inside so it's warmer to fish out of in the winter, and much more stable and faster in rough water then my sit on top yaks. For that reason I use it a lot in the winter when conditions are rough, when I can't launch or fish anywhere but out of the harbors in Santa Monica bay.

Here's some pics from fishing a Small craft advisory fishing in December.

To make the story short I was working a mark for a few hours that day in winds up to thirty, and eight foot seas.

Those pics are actually from one of the times the wind had calmed down, most of the time it was to wet too break out the camera. Probably the harshest conditions I've ever fished in kayak and still had a great bite. I'd paddle up toss a Swimbait, hookup drift maybe 75yds off the spot while messing with the fish, paddle back to that spot and hook another one.

Cold, rough, and very windy at times but wide open bass fishing on plastics. Just a FN blast.

Thanks for the compliments, but what I'm saying is though she may be pretty.

Bottom line she's still a fishing kayak.

Nothing like fishing something you built yourself. Wish I had time to do that skiff it would be a great boat to fish local, or even offshore if you know what your doing out there.

Jim