Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #1
Billy V

Hobie Bait Tank Vs. Thresher Tank.

I have long been a user of the Thresher Tank and do not have any complaints about this well designed product.

However. because I own a Hobie I am considering a change to the Hobie Live Well just because I may be able to benefit from a few tweaks as it is designed to fit my boat.

Can Anyone share their experience with the Hobie Bait Tank ?
-Are there any special tweaks that the tank needs.
ie. Do I need a screen to cover the pick-up tube.

How does it work compared to what you have already had for a bait tank?

Thanks in Advance
BV
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
dorado50

The hobie livewell circulates water from the bottom of tank, providing for more livelier and healthier baits.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:21 PM   #3
erinoo

I use a small piece of net cut from an aquarium seine /minnow scooper; cost about 2-bits @ Wal-Mart…I also shorten my intake hose so the hose/black end piece sticks out under the yak about an inch or a little less… tweaks worked for me…fficeffice" />>>
erinoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
forefrazier

I have to say that I am a bit disappointed so far with the Thresher tank with anything other than macs. Have not put any 'chovies in it yet but all of my 'dines have been rolling pretty quick when getting bait at the receiver in Dana. Using a 6V batt and over the side bilge pump. Didn't have that problem with the Hobie tank. Might be the rectangular shape or just plain bad bait?? Anyone else notice this?

You will be happy with the Hobie tank...
forefrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:04 PM   #5
erinoo

I have had the same problem with dines at the reciever at dana in my hobie tank. Not sure if it's the dines or not.
erinoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:12 PM   #6
MVC

I have used both tanks on my Hobie Revo and I like the Hobie tank much better. You can adjust the water level and you don't have to drag a pump over the side. I have had some problems picking up kelp and eel grass through the intake hose.
MVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:03 PM   #7
fishinkid2010

I've had great luck with my Hobie bait tank. I've ran it all day from 6 am until 4 pm full of Sardines and Anchovies. I've also run it all day full of bass, the battery never died, and the bait and bass were still very lively. The only time I use a screen over the intake tube is when I'm fishing in thick kelp mats. Since I have a Revolution, I did not have to trim the intake tube. I believe though, that other Hobie models require some adjusting.
For me, the self priming nozzle works great. The tank works so well that my friend doesn't even bother to bring his bait tank when he goes fishing with me.
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:58 PM   #8
Hypoxic1

I love my hobie tank, however its not the most secure tank in the world with only 2 straps. I would recommend you add a few straps to the back of the tank so if you do get hit by a wave from behind your gear will remain secure. Also, on the little switch knob, unscrew the knob and put some loctite, or teflon tape ton the threads. The knob tends to spin off when you least expect it as they didnt put anything on there to bind it to the threads.
CHris
Hypoxic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:08 PM   #9
blackcloud9
Kayaker

BillyV -

Sounds like with your Hobie tank you would have to install the intake on the water and then remove the tubing before landing? Holy cow! I would be frustrated and screaming if I had to deal with that, ever....

You could trim the Hobie intake tube a little (so its flush with hull) and you can launch and land without ever messing with it at all. At just the right length, it will self-prime while pedalling, yet still can be beached with no problem. I have a postage-stamp sized, fine (window) screen gooped on the intake hole, and honestly, have never had a clog.

I have also customized the straps and installed 45 degree PVC trolling rod holders using a 90 degree PVC elbow and a few huge zip ties (Home Depot). See below, this is the main thing that they left out of my original requirements for a La Jolla perfect tank ...

Larry

Last edited by blackcloud9; 09-21-2009 at 08:27 PM.
blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:22 PM   #10
Billy V

I'm going to shorten the intake tube. It might pick up less debris.

I will also try the plastic tube to back flush the pump if needed.

Last edited by Billy V; 09-22-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:30 PM   #11
h2ofishfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcloud9 View Post
BillyV -

Sounds like with your Hobie tank you would have to install the intake on the water and then remove the tubing before landing? Holy cow! I would be frustrated and screaming if I had to deal with that, ever....

You could trim the Hobie intake tube a little (so its flush with hull) and you can launch and land without ever messing with it at all. At just the right length, it will self-prime while pedalling, yet still can be beached with no problem. I have a postage-stamp sized, fine (window) screen gooped on the intake hole, and honestly, have never had a clog.

I have also customized the straps and installed 45 degree PVC trolling rod holders using a 90 degree PVC elbow and a few huge zip ties (Home Depot). See below, this is the main thing that they left out of my original requirements for a La Jolla perfect tank ...

Larry

wow! nice dont call me a biter when u see me in lj with those angle troller holders except ill use black zip ties cause im christopher lowell like that
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote