Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
guamboas

Need help with LJ

Ok I have a PA12 and my friend has a PA14 and we want to go and fish La Jolla where do I launch from and how is the parking? Any help would be awesome, Im not asking for secret spots just directions on good launching spots. If you have any pointers that would be awesome Thanks Everyone

Diego
guamboas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
silentsmell

La Jolla shores has a launch for smaller crafts. Just pull up, park unload and go park in the lot. If you want to map it, it's on Avenida de la Playa. Just go straight on it till you hit the sand/beach. Have fun!
silentsmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #3
silentsmell

Oh! be wary driving on the sand if you don't have a 4x4. I got stuck the other day, thanks Sean for towing me out!
Old 06-14-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
guamboas

I looked on google earth looks like a lot of parking lots where do you park though is there a pay pot or just street parking
guamboas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:48 PM   #5
IMTHESKI
Junior

I haven't been up there yet but here are a few things I have read about here on BWE about LJ. There is a stop sign somewhere near the beach but it is on the left side of the road so you have a high chance of missing it. Supposedly the life guards are or are going to start ticketing people for not stopping there. In SD a life guards ticket is just as real as a cops so be careful. There have been break ins especially out of the back of truck beds. I wouldn't bring anything you care about or can't replace. Although La Jolla is usually a nice place. Been there a lot, just never launched/been to the waters edge except for the Children's Pool to see the seals. The OEX cam shows it and it looks like a nice place to launch. Just be aware of where the wildlife preserve is, guessing that is also a hefty fine. Not sure if any of this helps but just in case. Good luck!
IMTHESKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #6
dorado50

Be careful of those pretty young girls in bikinis. If you look at them from the front and from the rear as they are walking you could end up with that stop sign in yer face!
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:33 AM   #7
jorluivil

I've driven my non 4x4 truck and my Accord onto the beach without an issue but before I drive int I always look at sand to see if its packed or not.

99.8% of the time you're good to go
.01% of the time its to crowded to get in
the other .01% you'll need a tow rope.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #8
Iceman
Administrator

Diego,

Avenida de la Playa ends right on the sand. The sand does get soft in the summer and guys get stuck. Last week there was an X terra buried to the axle, that needed a pull out. There is a lot you can park in 2 blocks to the north, the head is a block north. If parking on the street pay attention to street sweeping as it varies side to side and which direction the streets run.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #9
silentsmell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Diego,

Avenida de la Playa ends right on the sand. The sand does get soft in the summer and guys get stuck. Last week there was an X terra buried to the axle, that needed a pull out. There is a lot you can park in 2 blocks to the north, the head is a block north. If parking on the street pay attention to street sweeping as it varies side to side and which direction the streets run.
Haha that was me in that xterra
Old 06-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #10
Dail14

Finding parking in the early morning is not too bad. But trying to get your yak back to the car during the summer afternoon crowds is a nightmare. Often you cant even get a car to the beach to load everything back up. Thank god for kayak carts.. you also have to watch out when coming back in as i learned the hard way on Thursday that landing on the beach while dodging clueless people on rentals is nearly impossible.
Dail14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #11
CKallday71

Was just looking at La Jolla on Google maps and noticed about 3 miles south west of Avenida De La Playa where Coast Blvd and Jenner road come together there's a little cove/beach looking place that looks like a nice sheltered place to launch from. Anybody know what the sitch is with that place? Is it private? Is this potentially a NOOB question?