Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2011, 06:15 AM   #1
Jimmyz123

Heading out Tuesday 1/11/11

Heading out Tuesday 1/11/11 for my birthday fishing trip that I always go on. I'm also going to use it for testing my bait tank before I make the jump to the ocean. I know the tide movement is not going to be too great but hey I get to go fishing. I'm thinking of going to either Mission or SD I haven't quite decided yet. If anyone wants to join me please let me know.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:23 AM   #2
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

MB or SD Bay

I was out last weekend and MB is still very muddy from the dregging and rains. After high tide peaked MB emptyed like a toilet with all kinds of debris flowing out.

I would try SD Bay.
Good luck!
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:52 AM   #3
driftwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunaseeker View Post
I was out last weekend and MB is still very muddy from the dregging and rains. After high tide peaked MB emptyed like a toilet with all kinds of debris flowing out.

I would try SD Bay.
Good luck!
And with 26 sewage spills 8 million gallons dumped in SD In the month of DEC.
I just wonder how safe some fish are to eat. Have fun tue and maybe you should fish deep.

Last edited by driftwood; 01-09-2011 at 09:28 AM.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:06 AM   #4
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunaseeker View Post

I would try SD Bay.
Good luck!
You just decided it for me. I know SD Bay very well and I have some areas that I was planning to try out. If my bait tank comes together like I hope it will I'll be picking up some bait. I have a spot I really want to try that I know always holds flat fish and is pretty deep.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:11 AM   #5
old_rookie

Dude - we need to get you out to LJ soon.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:16 AM   #6
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_rookie View Post
Dude - we need to get you out to LJ soon.
I want to go very badly I don't have my leashes yet for my rods in the event I tip. I guess I could lay them down like I would my paddle. I've been kicking around trying to go to La Jolla or do the bay thing. Believe me the tug on my heart is there.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:27 AM   #7
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

I don't have leashes for most of gear, i just use nylon rope and tie it to my rods and stuff i don't want lose. The leashes i do own i use for my best gear.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
I don't have leashes for most of gear, i just use nylon rope and tie it to my rods and stuff i don't want lose. The leashes i do own i use for my best gear.
I have to look around the house, I think I may have stuff that I can use for leashes. I know I can handle the La Jolla launch but I want to make that for a day when I can hit it early and be out as long as I want. I have to drop my son off at school in the morning and my Mother-In-Law is making me a dinner for that night also. So my window of fishing will be from about 8 until about 3. How long do most people go out for when they go?
Old 01-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #9
dorado50

8 to 3 will work just fine!!! put the excuses in the kitchen drawer and get out there. LJ has been lightly fished lately,you will probably come in with a yt.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:34 PM   #10
Jimmyz123

You may have decided it for me. I should stop the excuses and just get out there.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:37 PM   #11
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
8 to 3 will work just fine!!! put the excuses in the kitchen drawer and get out there. LJ has been lightly fished lately,you will probably come in with a yt.
I will be sure to post up a report when I am back.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:33 PM   #12
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
I want to go very badly I don't have my leashes yet for my rods in the event I tip. I guess I could lay them down like I would my paddle. I've been kicking around trying to go to La Jolla or do the bay thing. Believe me the tug on my heart is there.
I store my rods in the the hull through the rod pod. The milk crate in the back is bungieed down and has a lid.

Leashes: small diameter rope from HD with a carabiner clip - its only for the paddle, and not in the surf zone. While fishing I don't use any leashes on my rods.

I understand your timing constraints. I hate that. It isn't fun to keep checking the clock when you need to return.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #13
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Jimmy, check out the innovations thread for some great ideas on how to make inexpensive and functional leashes from stuff you probably have in your garage.

I have adopted Fongman's great idea of using tarp tie-downs and have attached them to every rod holder on my yak. For about $6 you can have every rod except the one in your hand securely lashed down.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #14
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
Jimmy, check out the innovations thread for some great ideas on how to make inexpensive and functional leashes from stuff you probably have in your garage.

I have adopted Fongman's great idea of using tarp tie-downs and have attached them to every rod holder on my yak. For about $6 you can have every rod except the one in your hand securely lashed down.

Bob
I love the Innovations page, I have gotten a lot of my ideas from there. As I was driving to dinner tonight I thought about the tarp tie-downs as you mentioned. I have a few of those I can use. I'm set, thanks for mentioning those.