Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2011, 08:23 AM   #1
yaknewb

Do you like your scupper pro kayak?

So im thinking of geting one this will be my first kayak im mainly useing it for the bay but would like to go out to the kelp some day. Im jus trying to get some intel from other people that own one let me know what you think of it thanks.
yaknewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:26 AM   #2
old_rookie

Suggest going on a trial run from at OEX MB.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
Jim Sammons LJKF

The Scupper Pro is one of the originals when you go back to the days when you were either in a SPTW or a Cobra FnD. You went for speed or stability and didn't have a lot of choices in between. I went for speed and was always in the OK boats. I caught hundreds of fish in that boat including my first Marlin and some pretty big threshers and never had an issue. With that said some people did find it too tippy and in fact it was not as user friendly as the FnD and is certainly less user friendly and tougher to rig up than what is available today.
The SPTW is a great fishing kayak but just like any other time you are going to purchase a kayak you need to decide if it is a good fit for you. You start getting over 210 pounds and you may find it a tight fit and add a live bait tank you may find yourself riding lower than you like.
I am sure there are some pretty good deals on the SPTW's out there but if you get one for the price and not the fit you may find your are not too happy with your purchase.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:25 AM   #4
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

I agree with Jim. I started kayaking in the surf on the scrambler in the early '80s when Mr. Neimeiher first introduced them, my son now uses it. Since then I purchased a Prowler 15' for the speed and seaworthiness and the upper body work-out. I haven't been let down yet. But the kayak I use the most is made by Hobie, the Outfitter. It is a tandem with dual mirage drives, has tackle trays on the side and is very stable. I feel safe taking my kids out on it and have also surfed La Jolla with it too! I purchased it from Tim Boyner at Dana Pt Jet ski. He has taken great care of us and goes the extra mile to make sure that you are happy with your purchase. BTW, it is red and we call it the 'Redsled' . 1_17_11 022.jpg

Good luck with your purchase as there are many models and makes to choose from. But most of all make sure whatever you buy, that you are most confortable in it, because if you catch the fever and are like most of us on this site, you will spend many many hours on it having the time of your life!

-ED
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #5
Jimmyz123

I too now have a Prowler 15 and love it. In the last couple of days I have been asked about the Scupper Pro and the Scramblers. Not having paddled either it's difficult to recommend either. Jim's answer was great because he gave me the same answer months ago when I asked him about it.

That being said what are people's opinions of the Scramblers as well? I'd be interested to know in the event someone asks me about them.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:52 AM   #6
PescadorPete

You bet - SPTW is my ride. Long, narrow, tippy, fast. I'm not weight challenged so it fits me fine. If you are wide in the hips it might not be the case. The hull is light so its easy to load onto the truck. Not a lot of room in the cockpit but I worked around it. I have the bait tank, rod holders and big tackle storage behind me, a small tackle box, FF & GPS in the front & center. Since its likely you're buying a used one, be sure to try it on before you buy to see if it fits. Oh and you'd have to get used to wisecracks about that old-school boat.
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
Riskey Water

The SPTW was my first yak and was a good friend for 10 years then I moved up to the Hobie Adventure . I liked it for long travels but I'm 5'9 and 180 ,found out that larger folks found it tippy and troublesome .Test run the yaks of your choice and go from there ..Good-luck and safe travels
Riskey Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:15 PM   #8
Amish Ed

Definitely try before you buy. Spend at least an hour in each one. Considering you brought up the SPTW, also check out the Prowler 15, Tarpon 160, and if you have the money an Adventure.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:29 PM   #9
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Scrambler OS (Old School)

Here is a 1980's vintage scrambler. I used to dive and surf in it way, way back. Now, I graciously hand it down to Roman, who immediately designed and fabricated the box in the back equipped with rod holders. At first I was concerned because the kayak is actually a little "tippy" (and for good reason as I used to lean way out and carve into the face of the wave) but Roman seems to handle it well. In this picture he's in a lake, but he has also been off-shore with it as well.
[ATTACH]1_17_11 042.jpg[/ATTACH]
The scrambler was designed to transport a SCUBA tank and gear so it can take a sizeable load, but balance will be an issue. I've spent many countless days paddleing this kayak over many miles, but there are better models available for long distance (XT). I also used to "rock-garden" and " rock-hop" with this kayak also because of it's short length. The most noteworthy aspect of this kayak is that it is truly indestructable and versatile. Mine is pushing 30 yrs and is still going strong!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1_17_11 040.jpg (60.7 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by RedSledTeam; 01-18-2011 at 03:42 PM. Reason: spelling correction.
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:21 PM   #10
Hunters Pa

I started on a SPTW (Jim's old Marlin yak to be precise) and really enjoyed it. I now have a P15. Moved up for more speed, more rigging possiibilities & greater range. That said, I think the Scupper was a great entry kayak for me, but I'm 5'11 and 145#. Butt tended to get a bit wet during the day, but nothing a decent pair of splash pants wouldn't cure.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:51 AM   #11
yaknewb

Yea im not to sure what im gona do i can only spend 350 right now and i can get a scupper for 300 but i really like the trident 15s but havnt found one in my budget yet. Thanks for all replys it has helped me out.
yaknewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:10 AM   #12
-scallywag-
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
I now have a P15. Moved up for more speed, more rigging possiibilities & greater range.
I've never paddled the prowler, but I've done some time on the SPTW and there is no way the prowler is faster, more rigging options and drier yes, but not faster. I'm pretty sure the SPTW is one of the fastest SOT yaks on the market besides the cobra expidition. Definantly a different animal than the newer style fishing yaks so test paddle first. You should be able to find one used for under 400.
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:08 AM   #13
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by -scallywag- View Post
I've never paddled the prowler, but I've done some time on the SPTW and there is no way the prowler is faster, more rigging options and drier yes, but not faster. I'm pretty sure the SPTW is one of the fastest SOT yaks on the market besides the cobra expidition. Definantly a different animal than the newer style fishing yaks so test paddle first. You should be able to find one used for under 400.

Hmm, ok. Maybe it's that I have gotten better at paddling & my P15 came with a better paddle. I attributed it to increased waterline & better tracking.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:16 AM   #14
Jim Sammons LJKF

Pretty tough to say "I have never paddled one" then put out a definitive statement that one is faster than the other.
From someone who spent a ton of time in both I would say it is a push, they are very similar in speed. I will give the nod to the Prowler in rougher conditions and in the surf, it just handles them both better.
I will give the nod to the SPTW for comfort, I could sit in that thing all day and never think twice, not so much in the Prowler.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:35 AM   #15
dorado50

kayaks are only as fast as the strengh and power of the operator. what difference does speed make anyway,especially if its a fishing kayak. kayaks can only go so fast so what difference does a 1/4 or 1/2 knot speed make anyway?. If your not satisfied with kayak speed time to get a boat!.. power and speed are only critical on the launch and entry,thats why I'll never give up my "P13"...
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote