Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2011, 05:14 AM   #1
Jimmyz123

Waders or Dry Pants?

I'm getting a pair of dry pants and a jacket, is there really a need to get waders? I've been looking at all my options.

Waders or dry pants, what would you do?
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:35 AM   #2
Deamon

JZ,

I'm a Hobie yakker so I'm sweating with any distance travelling if i've got the waders on. I've been bugging quite a bit and it's been cold, cold at night but the waders have definitely helped delay hypothermia from setting in. Kind of like humid moist on the inside but knowing it's saving my arse from the real cold later that night...

Shorts any other time!
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:55 AM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

Most paddle pants are just that, pants with your feet exposed. The big appeal of breathable waders is that they keep you dry,(wool socks and sweat pants when cold and just over board shorts in warmer weather) are light and loose fitting..................and the price is right.

3 pairs of waders through the years and they all eventually leaked to the point of being ............pointless. Big fan of the Kokatat Tempest pants with built in booties. MSRP $159.95................and I sell em

http://www.kokatat.com/product_detail.asp?code=ttp
Old 01-28-2011, 07:01 AM   #4
old_rookie

Waders will keep your 'sealed' up from water from your toes up to your waist. This allows you to walk into the surf and jump on your kayak without getting wet from the waist down. Dry pants I would think allow water in the instant you walk into the surf. As Andy mentioned, the kokatat have built in booties which (I would think) seal off your feet and ankles preventing any water from entering. Is that correct Iceman?
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:35 AM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
Is that correct Iceman?
correct and the material is the same as the pants, unlike the waders light neoprene footies that tear easily.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Most paddle pants are just that, pants with your feet exposed. The big appeal of breathable waders is that they keep you dry,(wool socks and sweat pants when cold and just over board shorts in warmer weather) are light and loose fitting..................and the price is right.

3 pairs of waders through the years and they all eventually leaked to the point of being ............pointless. Big fan of the Kokatat Tempest pants with built in booties. MSRP $159.95................and I sell em

http://www.kokatat.com/product_detail.asp?code=ttp

I have those. and i agree with the tempest pants and are excellent, breathable, and you can wear anything under them.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:23 AM   #7
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

Here's my post on the other wader thread.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
Jimmyz123

I love all the posts, I think I'm going to invest in a good pair of dry pants. I don't get cold too easy and I like the idea of being able to take the pants of easier than the waders.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:01 AM   #9
Jimmyz123

So I posted up yesterday that I was going to invest in some dry pants and not the waders. Then I went back and read over the posts again and thought it would not be a bad idea to have some waders and some dry pants. So I used my B-day money and the BPS gift card and ordered some waders. I think I'll be happy I did on some of the colder mornings.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:05 AM   #10
roadx

jimmy just a suggestion, get something that has a front zipper. taking a leak wont be fun without one
Old 01-29-2011, 07:33 AM   #11
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadx View Post
jimmy just a suggestion, get something that has a front zipper. taking a leak wont be fun without one
That's a good idea. I was unable to find any zippered waders locally - wanted to try them on for size and fit vs. online. So instead of a zipper, I bring an empty wide mouth bottle - not easy, but easier than taking off the waders.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:19 AM   #12
Jimmyz123

I should talk to some of the nurses at work I saw one of those pee bottles they give the patients and that would work very well. I was not able to get zipper front waders but I'm sure I'll figure something out.