Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-06-2007, 01:05 PM   #19
Jimm H

So many comments to think about...

Okay...

1) this has been going on since I started kayak fishing in June of 2001. (I started because I was standing on the deck of the New Seaforth, watching kayakers go by with big fish while we fished for bass and bonita So, GUYAK, you are correct, sir!)

BTW- Brad would say to me that the only thing that's changed is that I'm sitting on a kayak now, watching kayakers go by with big fish... LOL

2) In all that time, no one has been swamped or run over by a sportie

3) That said, what they do is plain wrong. They are trying to intimidate, or at best, harrass us for their amusement.

4) Ciopino- what is the "legal distance" of a chum line? Since chum drifts and spreads, where is the line drawn? (from a practical standpoint, it is just outside iron tossing range.) It is their strategy and free choice to dump bait into the water as chum. It is not their right to declare a no fishing zone. Common courtesy dictates I give them some working room, but not the whole ocean behind their boat. (I've had them yell at me when I was a good 150 feet off their stern, passing thru)

5) It is stupid to work too close to ANY boat, especially a cattle boat. If you are fishing for bait or fish close enough to be "ironed", you are too close (*see (5) above)

6) Best way to get back at them is to show them your large, freshly caught pelagic species as they pass by. More of their customers will join our plastic fleet, and soon, we can all walk out to the kelp from the shores by stepping on all the kayaks.

6) If you whoop real loud when you catch a fish or broadcast on the radio that "I'm hooked up over here!" you will draw in kayakers, pber's and sporties alike to sit on top of you and share in your "happiness," or at least in your fishing spot. And, guess what? Code words don't work. They figure out the code words.

7) bassboyc-- Sport Boats do NOT idle at 7 knots... that would make for a really spectacular docking every time. Having both been on the boat and seen them slip slowly up to the bait barge on other occasions, I know that one is bull. (sorry) If not, they are very poorly designed.

8) Whoever it was that was "spun around" by one of the sporties tangling up your trolling line- was your trolling bait in gear when the prop of the cattle boat caused you to spin around? I wouyld think it would have spooled you, instead. What did it feel like to hook something that large? How would you have landed it if your line hadn't given way? More importantly, how much line did you have out? Two weeks ago I lost a fish (yes, Brad, another lost fish) when a kayaker tangles my line as he trolled his lure a good 150 feet behand him thru all the kayaks and boats. Not saying you were that far back, but.... how far back were you?

There. Enough trouble caused. I'm done...
Jimm H is offline   Reply With Quote