Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2015, 10:23 AM   #1
pbb

DIY Rockfish descender

Now that Rockfish season is closed, we should all not only be releasing rockfish by-catch, but ideally getting them back down to depths so they don't just get eaten the birds.

They grow slowly, so let's protect the fishery and get the by-catch back down to where it has a good chance at survival.

DFW/NOAA has this guide, but it includes only commercial products and DIY rigs that require specific preparation: http://www.westcoast.fisheries.noaa....kfish_down.pdf

Here's a simple approach that you can make with gear you almost certainly have with you on the water, so you have no excuses. (Although rockfish will survive much better if you have something ready to go before they get to the surface).

It's pretty simple. The easiest version requires line, a snap swivel, and a hook (plus pliers to crimp the barb if it isn't barbless). The second version doesn't require a snap swivel, but is a little harder to tie.

First, take a length of heavy line (I used 50lb mono), and snell your hook, leaving a very long tag end. You can use any snell, but if you know how to tie a uni-knot, using the uni-knot snell is probably easiest. Otherwise consider looking up an "easy snell knot." Too keep the inverted hook upright, you will need to wrap the whole shank of the hook, so it will require many more turns than if you were just trying to keep the hook on the end of your leader.

Tie a loop (I use a surgeon's loop knot) in the tag end (i.e., the end closest to the bottom of the hook).

Tie the standing end (the end closest to the hook eye) to a snap swivel. I suggest a palomar knot.

Now you've got a rig which, like the commercial Shelton Fish Descender, you can connect (via the loop) to a snap swivel on you pole and add weights to the snap swivel. Like the SFD, you can even put a rig below the swivel so you don't need to reel up to start fishing again if you are fishing/releasing deep.

You can do all of this, even if you aren't using snap swivels, by snelling the hook upside down a ways up your leader. It requires a bit of adaptation, since the tag end goes through the hook eye last rather than at the beginning of the snell, but it's not hard to make it work. Then you can tie whatever you want (e.g., dropped loop) in the tag end below the inverted hook (assuming you left the tag end long enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RFD1.jpg (21.2 KB, 329 views)
File Type: jpg RFD2.jpg (28.1 KB, 327 views)

Last edited by pbb; 01-03-2015 at 12:56 PM.
pbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:53 AM   #2
momo fish

Good read and idea. Will try this as well
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:23 AM   #3
blitzburgh

Great post. I have been using the roklees tool with great success but this is a cool do it yourself rig.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:05 PM   #4
h-james

learn something new everyday

Simple,yet effective.
h-james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:40 PM   #5
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Have your tried it out yet? I've always used a hanger and 1lb weight.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:57 PM   #6
pbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
Have your tried it out yet? I've always used a hanger and 1lb weight.
Not yet.

I had made something similar to the SFD using brass rod, but when I went for a last rockfishing trip of 2014, of course I forgot it. I found myself scrambling to improvise to get a little guy back down. (I failed, BTW. I got him down a ways, after he'd been out too long, but he floated back up).

That inspired me to figure out the best way to tie an inverted hook, so I could always make something usable on the water.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:18 AM   #7
RockyRaab

Pardon the ignorance of a freshwater guy, but would it not work at least as well to tie your weight to the hook eye on a short line, then tie your main line to the bend of the hook with a simple clinch or trilene knot? That would positively insure the hook stayed upright but "upside down."

We have the same swim bladder problem with some freshwater species when they're caught from down deep. Some guys even make up an old casting reel with used/discard braid and mounted on a short handle just for this purpose.
RockyRaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:03 AM   #8
Hunters Pa

Looks effective and well thought out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbb View Post
. Like the SFD, you can even put a rig below the swivel so you don't need to reel up to start fishing again if you are fishing/releasing deep. .
Keep in mind, though, that when fishing for certain species or having them on board you are limited to the number of hooks you can fish with. I could easily see this being considered an "active" hook in your setup, so you would need to count it in your number. Also, you are limited on active rods for certain situations, so fishing with one while "releasing" with another could be interpreted as fishing with two by a warden.

Not trying to detract from the innovation nor intent to release with better chances of survival, but if it helps someone avoid a ticket then it is worth reminding.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:36 PM   #9
roadx

if your paranoid you could use a device like this to release fish at the depth you choose.

The Shallow Water SeaQualizer
This device has release depth settings of 30-50-70ft and is ideal for fish caught in water from 30 to 140ft. These fish aren't always suffering from barotrauma but the device reverses effects of thermocline changes as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
Looks effective and well thought out.

Keep in mind, though, that when fishing for certain species or having them on board you are limited to the number of hooks you can fish with. I could easily see this being considered an "active" hook in your setup, so you would need to count it in your number. Also, you are limited on active rods for certain situations, so fishing with one while "releasing" with another could be interpreted as fishing with two by a warden.

Not trying to detract from the innovation nor intent to release with better chances of survival, but if it helps someone avoid a ticket then it is worth reminding.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:42 AM   #10
Saba Slayer

Easy descender rig

I use a similar rig on the kayak...but I just use a San Diego knot and a squashed down barb with a snap swivel on each end...just put the upside down hook in the fish's upper lip and send em down.

On my skiff I use an inverted milk crate with weights on each corner and 75' of rope...so much easier to just drop the small fish in the water and send them down with the crate.

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote