Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2010, 10:12 AM   #1
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Hobie cart upgrade for $10

I recently picked up a Pro Angler and bought the less expensive cart with the skinny plastic wheels.

I did a quick upgrade to the cart with a set of wheels that cost me $10 at Harbor Frieght. It was really too easy.

First the washers that are welded to the axle were gently removed wtih a set of vice grips. A little back and forth bending will break the two welds.

Second I cut two sections of 1/2 copper pipe to cover the axle where the wheel will ride.

Added a couple of washers on the inside, put the wheel on, two more washers and finished it off with the pin in the axle.

sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #2
blitzburgh

I like it! I'm getting ready to buy a new cart for my PA. I already have those Harbor Freight wheels so I will probably follow your lead. Great idea!
blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:58 PM   #3
miguelitro
Team Bad Habits

i love hf so i think i will upgrade my ghetto sled to those wheels!
thanks for the post!
Mike
miguelitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
roadx

i just pickup a dolly frame from Billy V last night (thanks Billy V for the bait too) and was wondering the diameter of the axel that those upgrade wheels use?

i need to pick up a pair if they fit
Old 06-24-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

If the bargain wheels at Harbor Freight will not work for you, there is a funky little place in San Marcos that carries just about every size wheel known to man, along with thousands casters and bearings. Google Dayton Industrial Supply.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #6
roadx

thanks dsafty between harbor frieghts, k surplus and Dayton Industrial Supply i should be able to find something cheap that will work
Old 06-24-2010, 06:53 PM   #7
civic fisher
Junior

Don't forget industrial liquidators.So are the wheels real solid or is there any wobble to them?Upgrade looks pretty well executed.
civic fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:39 PM   #8
Rob929

I dont have pics handy, but do have one suggestion- especially for the carts that have scupper posts only.. Add a pvc 4-way cross piece, slide it down over the scupper posts on the cart. Add pvc wrapped with foam coming out either way off the cross piece to create support for the kayak to rest on.. similar to the cart in this pic:
http://www.allkayakfishing.com/rigged/cart2.jpg

This way, the scupper posts will keep the cart in place, and aligned, but will not be supporting the full weight of the kayak. Will try to post exact pics later..
Rob929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:59 PM   #9
fongman

For $10.00 more (+ s/h), I picked up the pneumatic tires with plastic rims that are found on some of the other carts. They're made for a 3/4 inch axle. You can buy them at Northern Tool.

btw, if you're looking to build a cart and you need an axle, Industrial Metal Supply has 3/4" stainless steel tubing in roughly 3 ft. lengths for about $5.00. If you're using 1" PVC, the perfect axle bushing I've found are 1" x 3/4" PVC reducer fittings. Get 4 of these and put them in the ends of a couple of T fittings and you've got your axle housing. Buy 2 lynch pins (Home Depot) to secure your wheels to the axle. With this setup, you have minimal weight and corrosion/rust to worry about.
fongman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:56 AM   #10
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

The copper pipe removes 95% of the wobble.
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic fisher View Post
Don't forget industrial liquidators.So are the wheels real solid or is there any wobble to them?Upgrade looks pretty well executed.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:23 AM   #11
habanero

Not to throw saltwater on this party but those harbor freight wheels only lasted a few trips before they fell apart. I paid about $4 each so no big loss. I did by another pair form them that are 10" and solid plastic. They should fit with no bushing adapters but I have not installed them. The ones "fongman" posted look great but I wonder is they are 100% plastic?
habanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:38 AM   #12
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by habanero View Post
Not to throw saltwater on this party but those harbor freight wheels only lasted a few trips before they fell apart. I paid about $4 each so no big loss. I did by another pair form them that are 10" and solid plastic. They should fit with no bushing adapters but I have not installed them. The ones "fongman" posted look great but I wonder is they are 100% plastic?
I use my cart to move my yak from the garage to the truck. The only time it gets wet is when I rinse the yak off after I get back. I was planning on giving a squirt of WD40 on the wheels ever so often. I do like the all plastic wheels from Northern Suppy. I'll order a set next time I need something from them. They must weigh half as much as the metal wheels. They look like they have metal bearings in them though.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:50 AM   #13
fongman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandydiego View Post
I do like the all plastic wheels from Northern Suppy. I'll order a set next time I need something from them. They must weigh half as much as the metal wheels. They look like they have metal bearings in them though.
These are the same wheels used on many of the $100.00+ kayak carts. The wheels do not have any metal parts. The bushing inserts are plastic.

Combine your orders and save on the s/h. Total cost for 2 sets was $50.00.
fongman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:41 PM   #14
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongman View Post
These are the same wheels used on many of the $100.00+ kayak carts. The wheels do not have any metal parts. The bushing inserts are plastic.

Combine your orders and save on the s/h. Total cost for 2 sets was $50.00.
Very good to know on the bushings. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:42 PM   #15
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

The problem with the HF wheels and many similar wheels found on Chinese import stuff is that the bolts that hold the wheels together have not been tightened properly. I have had these wheels fall apart on dollys, wagons and other similar stuff imported from China.

A little loctight and a wrench and you should be fine.

That said, the all-plastic wheels look very nice and are probably worth the extra cost.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:17 PM   #16
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
The problem with the HF wheels and many similar wheels found on Chinese import stuff is that the bolts that hold the wheels together have not been tightened properly. I have had these wheels fall apart on dollys, wagons and other similar stuff imported from China.

A little loctight and a wrench and you should be fine.

That said, the all-plastic wheels look very nice and are probably worth the extra cost.

Bob
It's what you expect from HF for $5. Plus the wheels stink for 6 months. Bonus.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:22 AM   #17
roadx

ordered two of the fongman wheels thanks for the heads ups
Old 01-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #18
pogieeh
Junior

HF Pneumatic wheel

Can you please tell me the bore size of the wheel that you upgraded. I have a 3/4 bore so If I buy a 1/2 inch cooper insert that should fit snug to the wheel. Thanks for replying.
pogieeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #19
lterrero
Leo

My best are golf cart wheels, I think they are to heavy for my taste Steve.
lterrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #20
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...?t=6394&page=6

See post 117

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote