Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2008, 04:06 PM   #21
radastaff

nice fish

wish it was me

p
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 05:06 PM   #22
Jared
Junior

Fishing to be a Pig and fishing to feed the poor.

I understand your point and I respect what you say but to be honest, Yellow tail is like gold around my house with four roomates and no money. 2 of the four fish we ate that night and the other two are feeding our family BBQ on Sunday. Haha. Sorry if I offended anyone keeping three fish but to be honest I was amped to see if three was possible on a kayak.
Jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 06:48 PM   #23
roosta

You guys are my heroes of the month!
See you at work...
roosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:44 PM   #24
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
After 2 fish, how about catch and release? There is not an unlimited supply and if you release, you or someone else can catch it again. Plus it might be able to reproduce. 80-120# of fish is alot for 2 people.
805Gregg - Some seiners can bag as much as 20,000 tons per year. That's 40,000,000 (40 Million) Pounds per year, not including by catch. By slaughtering some yellows here and there, and living off that, we are not supporting the 40 Million Pound / year seiners and all their trashed by catch... I don't know if that makes sense, but it seems logical to me.

Read up on it...
http://weblog.greenpeace.org/pacific...es/001648.html
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:57 PM   #25
Jared
Junior

Doubled Up

After a slow morning with some rough water and ugly cloud cover, I almost called it a day...

The result

Thanks for the photos Larry.
Jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:55 AM   #26
deeberdave

Well said Darkhouse,
With our resource being threatened from all sides we have lots more
important things to do than call each other names!!!
Great post:notwort hy:
THANKS
deeberdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:11 AM   #27
805gregg

I was not trying to tell anyone what to do, it was more of a question. No laws were broken or maybe the laws themself are what's broken. The Ca Fish and Game seem to let everything go as is until there is a problem. Look at the Abalone population or Black sea bass, there are alot less Albacore than in the past. Now some of our channel Islands areas are closed to fishing because of over fishing. I'm not a tree hugger by any means, I don't belong to any groups, I surf, but don't join Surfrider, because of their anti fishing stance. The older I get, the more I see the need to conserve some of our presious resources. I fished Albacore commerically in the early 70's, and we would catch 100 fish an hour on jigs, now look at the Albacore population. I live in Ojai by choice, and plan to stay there, I moved from San Diego 25 years ago, when I saw how crowded it was getting. When I fish now I only keep what I will eat that night and release everything else so hopefully there will be fish when I fish tomorrow. I'm not putting any one down just making suggestions.
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:40 AM   #28
aguachico

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
I was not trying to tell anyone what to do, it was more of a question. No laws were broken or maybe the laws themself are what's broken. The Ca Fish and Game seem to let everything go as is until there is a problem. Look at the Abalone population or Black sea bass, there are alot less Albacore than in the past. Now some of our channel Islands areas are closed to fishing because of over fishing. I'm not a tree hugger by any means, I don't belong to any groups, I surf, but don't join Surfrider, because of their anti fishing stance. The older I get, the more I see the need to conserve some of our presious resources. I fished Albacore commerically in the early 70's, and we would catch 100 fish an hour on jigs, now look at the Albacore population. I live in Ojai by choice, and plan to stay there, I moved from San Diego 25 years ago, when I saw how crowded it was getting. When I fish now I only keep what I will eat that night and release everything else so hopefully there will be fish when I fish tomorrow. I'm not putting any one down just making suggestions.
With that said, your original post is condescending. You are projecting your personal limit on another angler. That's the probelm. You can bust on someone's over priced shimano gear, their peddle craft, their slow ass ugly cobra or funky waders - but when an angler stays within the limits of the CA DFG. Back off and let give them their 5 minutes of fame. If you want to discuss politics, do it on your own post or send them a PM.

BTW: released some nice calis 4#'s Saturday while fishing WSB. SHould kept the mofo's for tacos today.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:03 AM   #29
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguachico View Post
With that said, your original post is condescending. You are projecting your personal limit on another angler. That's the probelm. You can bust on someone's over priced shimano gear, their peddle craft, their slow ass ugly cobra or funky waders - but when an angler stays within the limits of the CA DFG. Back off and let give them their 5 minutes of fame. If you want to discuss politics, do it on your own post or send them a PM.
My sentiments exactly. Please, lets leave the politics out, unless it something that brings us together, or makes us stronger! We have enough problems with all the different opinions and personalities gathered together on these boards. When someone posts their catch it is because they are proud and want to share with others. Bagging on someone's catch is just tacky and bad form.

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:48 AM   #30
dorado50

Classic pic of the two rods bendo, would make for a great picture framed and on the wall!
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:18 PM   #31
SDdude

Jared,
No need for any apologies or explanations in my book. I was in the same boat once upon a time (a house full of hungry roommates). Besides, what you did doesn't even come close to what guys are pulling in on a good day offshore on a single PB. And don't even get me started on the seiners...

So, congrats to you. And to Bailey for his first YT.

--Raleigh

P.S. - Dude, what happened to the hair? :>) Guess I haven't been by the shop lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
I understand your point and I respect what you say but to be honest, Yellow tail is like gold around my house with four roomates and no money. 2 of the four fish we ate that night and the other two are feeding our family BBQ on Sunday. Haha. Sorry if I offended anyone keeping three fish but to be honest I was amped to see if three was possible on a kayak.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:04 PM   #32
dorado50

I dedicate all my recent and future dead fish to "805gregg". If only he would bitch and complain to the mexican goverment (and Japaneese)as to what their sieners are doing to fish populations and the effect it has on US waters than just maybe the next generation may have an over abundance of fish! ps. do all your released fish live to see another day? I doubt it. Your a fish killer like the rest of us.lol
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:45 AM   #33
habanero

Nobody can accuse me of catching too much fish lately but if I do, who among you have a reasonable knowledge of the survivability after releasing a big predator?
habanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:01 PM   #34
THE DARKHORSE

Nuff said...I catch big fish with horrible scars all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habanero View Post
Nobody can accuse me of catching too much fish lately but if I do, who among you have a reasonable knowledge of the survivability after releasing a big predator?

The other side of this fish had some real ugly healing wounds that would of looked like certain death when fresh.

I've caught plenty of Yellowtail and Halibut with obvious scars from Sealions and gaffs that tore out (especially big Halibut with obvious tore out gaff scars that healed nicely). This doesn't mean to ever let a fish go if you gaffed him, never.